VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Get Out Of This Maze?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

At times I feel like quitting and maybe I should, but I can't. My case is a very long one. I filed for service connected benefits in 1978 and was immediately denied. I did not get a rating statement of the case or anything. To make this short. I decided to re-file in 2002 for service connection for anxiety. I received a penion and a denial. I immediately wrote to the St. Louis Archives and secured all of my Psychiatric Records, and a letter from The Commanding Officer, which the Va did not bother to get. I turned them in and received a C&P with a more likely than not. Being that my niece is a DRO in that Regional Office, my file was immediately transferred to another Regional Office. I waited for a decision and was sent a notice of my clinic appointment date. When I arrived at the Hospital, I was given a C&P Examination by two psychiatrist, male and female. The write up was no more than slander to me and my medical records had been changed. The male did not sign, but the lady doctor did. She stated that nothing in service bothered me. After being called a liar and a few things, I wrote to the doctor that treated me in service and sent him his medical records. He wrote back that he treated me with tranquilizers for anxiety. I ask repeatedly for a new examination, but did not get one. I am now at the management center. The remand states for my claims file to go back to the two psychiatrist for them to reconcile their difference. How much more do they need? I was treated in service with librium for anxiety and saw two navy psychiatrist and was discharged with emotional instability code 460. The BVA wants to know why I received an early discharge? I began Librium again in 1967 and have been treated for anxiety ever since. They have my doctors letter, stating in his opinion my anxiety began its origin in service, they have the letter by my treating physician in service, the opinion of their Va Psychologist and a letter from a buddy of abuse that I endured in service. The remand asked for so little, another letter from my physician, and a search of my personnel records and medical records in the event that there are other records out there not turned in. I have been at this for several years now. Shouldn't they soon have to give me a yes or no?

Thanks Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Josephine- do NOT give up on this- I know how frustrating it all is-

The CO's letter- does the VARO have a copy of that- and the doctor in service who prescribed librium- as well as the records from the inservice psychiatrists-have they listed it all as evidence in the decision or did they miss something good-

Like Vike said here today- if they don't list it, it then becomes new evidence that they should consider-

This sounds like a case of the VA assuming you have a 'personality disorder' or the emotional instability- when in fact- you have an anxiety disorder ,proven by treatment and inservice evidence-and PTSD is an anxiety disorder.

Do you have a vet rep's help- did you file this for anxiety disorder due to servuice or for PTSD due to service?

Some of the RE code labels can hurt a vet for years when the reality is they have anxiety,depression, or PTSD due to service events.

Seems to me you should push for Reasonable doubt- your evidence seems to outweight theirs and in that case a vet should succeed.

I just hope that they are not hung up at the VA on Emotional instability or some personality disorder label-

when you present the symptoms of someone with PTSD-

They can pay comp on PTSD,depression, bi polar, and anxiety etc. with clear dpcumented links to service- they will not pay comp for many other labels the mil can put on a DD 214-or a discharge-

and the way they are labeling your illness might be the problem-

Just my opinion but I say- do NOT give up on this Veteran!

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

Yes the BVA and The Appeals Management Center have everything. I think they are having a problem with my Psychiatric Records being in the St. Louis Archives for the last 40 years and the letter of discharge from my Commanding Officers. It is not my fault that they did not get these records in 1978. I do not have one medical record of the last 42 years that state that I have a personality disorder or have ever been treated for one. Yes, I agree that is where they are trying to place me, but I don't see how they can continue the personality thing, when my physician wrote the the Va. Lady Psychiatrist, who authored the C&P was patently incorrect with her facts and that I definitely did not have a personality disorder. I was given an Axis 1 - Generalized Anxiety and Axis 2- borderline personality disorder. She states that it appears that I did not have an an anxiety problem in service. She gave me a GAF of 40 and I know better than that. I told her that my treating physician in service helped me to secure an early discharge and that he set up the psychiatric visits and she didn't believe me. I looked up his telephone number, as I babysit for him and his wife at this duty station until my discharge. Do you have any ideal why both members of the Board of Psychaitrist did not sign the C&P examination? Aren't they susposed to. The remand states when all information is gathered the claims file should return to the two psychiatrist for them to reconcile their opinion. The Va Psychologist gave me a more likely than not with unemployable since 1983. I need all the help that I can get.

Thanks so much,

Josephine

Guest frank
At times I feel like quitting and maybe I should, but I can't. My case is a very long one. I filed for service connected benefits in 1978 and was immediately denied. I did not get a rating statement of the case or anything. To make this short. I decided to re-file in 2002 for service connection for anxiety. I received a penion and a denial. I immediately wrote to the St. Louis Archives and secured all of my Psychiatric Records, and a letter from The Commanding Officer, which the Va did not bother to get. I turned them in and received a C&P with a more likely than not. Being that my niece is a DRO in that Regional Office, my file was immediately transferred to another Regional Office. I waited for a decision and was sent a notice of my clinic appointment date. When I arrived at the Hospital, I was given a C&P Examination by two psychiatrist, male and female. The write up was no more than slander to me and my medical records had been changed. The male did not sign, but the lady doctor did. She stated that nothing in service bothered me. After being called a liar and a few things, I wrote to the doctor that treated me in service and sent him his medical records. He wrote back that he treated me with tranquilizers for anxiety. I ask repeatedly for a new examination, but did not get one. I am now at the management center. The remand states for my claims file to go back to the two psychiatrist for them to reconcile their difference. How much more do they need? I was treated in service with librium for anxiety and saw two navy psychiatrist and was discharged with emotional instability code 460. The BVA wants to know why I received an early discharge? I began Librium again in 1967 and have been treated for anxiety ever since. They have my doctors letter, stating in his opinion my anxiety began its origin in service, they have the letter by my treating physician in service, the opinion of their Va Psychologist and a letter from a buddy of abuse that I endured in service. The remand asked for so little, another letter from my physician, and a search of my personnel records and medical records in the event that there are other records out there not turned in. I have been at this for several years now. Shouldn't they soon have to give me a yes or no?

Thanks Josephine

josephine,i to filed a claim in 1978,va failed to open my claim,claimed no records found,in 2003 i got my records in 2003 all evidence was there,but something in your topic caught my eye,and this is what i was told to do,and it worked,if the bva issued the remand,and the two doctors did not respond or va you can use that for evidence to your claim because it will link,yourrecords back to the remand this will be used to prove your claim a evidence i wrote to bva myself and sent all files to them ,it did go back to the ro ,but the remand came first,so i tied that to evidence as bva told va to take nessary action,va never did so i used it as evidence to prove my claim hope this helps you i don,t have to use the ro anymore ,my file went to va in washington,with the help of my congressman,va has ti go back for service of air force navy you can always write to va in washington,or the bva i have never let my case leave local va frank

• HadIt.com Elder
josephine,i to filed a claim in 1978,va failed to open my claim,claimed no records found,in 2003 i got my records in 2003 all evidence was there,but something in your topic caught my eye,and this is what i was told to do,and it worked,if the bva issued the remand,and the two doctors did not respond or va you can use that for evidence to your claim because it will link,yourrecords back to the remand this will be used to prove your claim a evidence i wrote to bva myself and sent all files to them ,it did go back to the ro ,but the remand came first,so i tied that to evidence as bva told va to take nessary action,va never did so i used it as evidence to prove my claim hope this helps you i don,t have to use the ro anymore ,my file went to va in washington,with the help of my congressman,va has ti go back for service of air force navy you can always write to va in washington,or the bva i have never let my case leave local va frank

Thanks a bunch, Frank. I am taking in everything that is being said to me. I appreciate your time and your knowledge. Seems that we have quite a bit in common with the years.

Josephine

• In Memoriam

Welcome Veteran,

The word maze caught my eye. Recognition, of being in the maze, is very a important part of accepting that this system is difficult. I sincerely, hope that you will not give up.

Guest frank

Thanks Josephine

johsephine,also read the specal outreach,under this va information, you can reopen your claim even if va denied it you do have new evidence,as i stated,special outreach,is on va home page,scroll down to the bottom,and you will see it ,i have opened a few claims under this as well, frank