Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vsos - What To Expect?

Rate this question

DblTap1

Question

Can anyone tell me what a VSO should be doing? Maybe a laymans rundown of what an introduction through performace should be like. It's difficult to tell good from bad when I have no idea of a standard.

Thank you

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well Berta. I love to see it when people "keep their promises". Especially when the promise was to someone who isnt here anymore and certainly wont be telling anyone that they did not keep their word. You have given your late hubby honor, by honoring the fullfillment by helping others.

You have helped many a Vet, including me.

A pastor once told the story of a man who died and went to what he thought was heaven. An angel showed up to show him his "new quarters".

On the way, they drove by a car. It was a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow..he recognized it. He knew these, in this min condition were worth more than 100,000 dollars. On the Rolls was a sign that said, "For sale, $300". Wow, he exclaimed. I want to buy that car! I even have the money in my wallet! The angel explained he had not seen nothing yet. They went a little farther and there was a mansion on 160 acres more beautiful than any he had ever seen. On it was a sign "For Sale, $500" He knew the mansion was worth millions. He sees many other bargains of things he would love to own at 1/100th of their value or less. He finally arrived at a tar paper shack, with a "for sale $1.00" on it. It had an old jalopy in the back that probably had not run for 30 years. He asked the angel to take him back to the mansion that he would like to purchase it. The angel said, Well, the money in your wallet is not accepted here. You see, the only money you can spend here is the money you you gave away and helped others with when you were on earth. He hung his head. He realized at last, he wasnt in heaven, he was in hell, as he had not given away more than a dolllar in his whole life.

And, for this, I say, thank you Berta.

I used DAV early on. There was a local retired gentleman that was very good. So good people outside of the area asked for his help and when he gave it DAV said he had no business going outside of his area so he quit.

All of the VSOs in my state are in the same federal building the RO is. Isn't that special. The one VSO that does not have an office at the VAMC here? DAV.

I went to their office at the Federal building more than once. It was " who are you and what do you want".

I learned not to count on anyone but myself. I used the American Legion at the end to get information I could not get and they were very courteous and helpful. But they were also predisposed not to rock the boat with the RO.

Expect the distinct sound of crickets chirping......beyond that, nothing a whole lot more. I have used an American Legion VSO out of the Houston VARO for about a year now, and have received nothing from the American Legion (other than my annual membership dues renewal notice for $35, and of course the monthly magazine that advertises comfortable shoes, cell phones with like 5 buttons and of course, polyester pants that can pull up to your chest) Of course, you don't have to actually join the AL to receive VSO assistance.

I kind of wondered about that until I learned that these VSO positions are funded with VA money, and from what I understand it's based on the numbers handled, and not necessarily success rates. So basically a 100 denied claims pays off more than 10 successful claims, and are a lot less work.

The only correspondance I have received from regarding the AL, was a VA letter advising me that the AL was named my power of attorney, which I had done on my visit to the Houston VARO.

Since that time, the VA cc's the AL on all correspondance to me, but I have never received a call from them, nor any information. I've had to file all my own documentation, and do all followups. I had tried multiple times to call them, and to be honest, when you can reach them, they can give you the same information as ePeggy, but without the hour long wait.

Of course, quite often you'll find that these VSO reps are gone to conferences, in meetings, on vacation, out sick, at lunch, away from the office, on another line, etc. And every time I talk to my rep, it's like I'm reintroducing myself all over again, even though I sat in his office over a year ago.

I have had a few suggestions from others to go to the DAV, or some other VSO. And I'm very tempted, but also tempted just to use the AL VSO as my call center until I get fed up, or until I reach some final conclusion to this roller coaster ride.

One other thing that I read, but have not confirmed is that VSO's have quite often "worked deals" on Veterans claims with the raters. In other words, they utilize their power of attorney over your life to trade off claims that you might have valid evidence for in an effort to reach some compromise with the VA so they don't have to pay out as much, and the VSO gets to close out another "successful" case.

The VSO's sell themselves as being useful to a Veteran because they are co-located in the VARO with the raters, etc., and that gives them an "in door" to accessing these mysterious beings to help a Veteran out on his/her claim. However, it looks like this may be a conflict of interest if there are deals being made over lunch, etc.

Of course, if you are into magazines advertising comfortable shoes and nipple pants, the American Legion is for you.

Mark

I would agree that you are not going to get a lot out of a VSO. But I would not count on an attorney. In the end, the only one that made a difference was me and a guy named Hoppy...

If you paid for the membership, that is on you. no one has to have a membership for any of the VSO to be their service rep. that is the law.

Next you are wrong in saying that the "VA pays the VSO's" the VA does not pay any of the VSO's most of the legion and VFW VSO's are employed by the state they work in. The DAV, PVA and AM-VET are not. The DAV is not as good as it once was. they no longer have their school in CO. so their NSO's are not as good as the old ones. like John Richards.

Learn the facts before putting the wrong info out.

Expect the distinct sound of crickets chirping......beyond that, nothing a whole lot more. I have used an American Legion VSO out of the Houston VARO for about a year now, and have received nothing from the American Legion (other than my annual membership dues renewal notice for $35, and of course the monthly magazine that advertises comfortable shoes, cell phones with like 5 buttons and of course, polyester pants that can pull up to your chest) Of course, you don't have to actually join the AL to receive VSO assistance.

I kind of wondered about that until I learned that these VSO positions are funded with VA money, and from what I understand it's based on the numbers handled, and not necessarily success rates. So basically a 100 denied claims pays off more than 10 successful claims, and are a lot less work.

The only correspondance I have received from regarding the AL, was a VA letter advising me that the AL was named my power of attorney, which I had done on my visit to the Houston VARO.

Since that time, the VA cc's the AL on all correspondance to me, but I have never received a call from them, nor any information. I've had to file all my own documentation, and do all followups. I had tried multiple times to call them, and to be honest, when you can reach them, they can give you the same information as ePeggy, but without the hour long wait.

Of course, quite often you'll find that these VSO reps are gone to conferences, in meetings, on vacation, out sick, at lunch, away from the office, on another line, etc. And every time I talk to my rep, it's like I'm reintroducing myself all over again, even though I sat in his office over a year ago.

I have had a few suggestions from others to go to the DAV, or some other VSO. And I'm very tempted, but also tempted just to use the AL VSO as my call center until I get fed up, or until I reach some final conclusion to this roller coaster ride.

One other thing that I read, but have not confirmed is that VSO's have quite often "worked deals" on Veterans claims with the raters. In other words, they utilize their power of attorney over your life to trade off claims that you might have valid evidence for in an effort to reach some compromise with the VA so they don't have to pay out as much, and the VSO gets to close out another "successful" case.

The VSO's sell themselves as being useful to a Veteran because they are co-located in the VARO with the raters, etc., and that gives them an "in door" to accessing these mysterious beings to help a Veteran out on his/her claim. However, it looks like this may be a conflict of interest if there are deals being made over lunch, etc.

Of course, if you are into magazines advertising comfortable shoes and nipple pants, the American Legion is for you.

Mark

I'm really just relating my own personal experience with the American Legion VSO located within a VARO. I could elaborate that our county VSO has alzeihmers, and could not help at all, but is really a nice guy that served his country back in the Korean War, but really can't help with claims or G.I. Bill information anymore though. He is funded by the county on a part-time basis. But I do know the difference between local, state and federal.

As I mentioned, I haven't used the DAV yet, and can't speak for them, or any other VSO, so I'm not knocking them. And I should have specified those American Legion VSO's working within the interior perimeter of a federally-owned facilty utilized by the Department of Veterans Affairs as a Regional Office to provide services to veterans of the American military branches. However, I could be wrong. I read that in a book published by a pretty reliable source, but I do need to do a little fact checking prior to affirming that the VA funds VSO's within a VARO (and by this I mean not just salary funding, but office space, telephone, Internet, and other M&O) at least to a certain extent. I also don't believe that a VSO working within a VA facility actually gets a government check from the VA, and don't believe I said that. (Wait, let me check......nope, I didn't)

But like I said, I could be wrong, and as always will definitely appreciate any insight or data that can show one way or the other, in an effort to understand the VA and these other VSO's.

Next, I agree that I paid for the membership, and have paid for multiple years. My own fault, and I probably will do it again next year. I do this for a few reasons:

1. I do appreciate the American Legion's efforts to lobby the federal government in the interest of Veterans and active duty service members;

2. Although they provide VSO services for free, I was raised in the country, and worked my whole life for everything I have ever had, just like my father, and his father before him. This is the first time that I ever applied for assistance, and probably should have 15 years or so ago, but held out like many Veterans do. However, even though I have filed a claim, and have asked the American Legion to help, and they still are really just a way to access my information without using Peggy, or ePeggy, there's a small piece of me that hates the idea of a free lunch. So, I am paying the $35 a year as a token to help keep things moving for them, and hopefully for me, and all of the other Veterans out there. (That's just my own personal conviction. I'm not knocking the free VSO services, and never would. It's just how I am.) I think I also stated that I knew that American Legion VSO services were free, and that I don't have to pay a membership fee. (Wait...let me check again......yep, I did.)

3. I just love magazines that advertise comfortable shoes. smile.png

And finally, as for Mr. John Richards, I have never had the good fortune to meet him, nor utilize his services, but am sure he's a great guy, and if the Good Lord shines on me, maybe he's available to help out a redneck country boy like me drive through the fog of the VA process.

Peace out,

Mark