VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vsos - What To Expect?

Rate this question

DblTap1

Question

Can anyone tell me what a VSO should be doing? Maybe a laymans rundown of what an introduction through performace should be like. It's difficult to tell good from bad when I have no idea of a standard.

Thank you

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

VETERANS SERVICE OFFICER

Annual Salary Range: $28,212.00 - $39,480.00 Index No: 5380 Twice-A-Month Salary Range: $1,175.50 - $1,645.00 Pay Grade: A17 Areas of Interest : Social Service, Public Welfare, & Mental Health; College Graduates Exam Components: Rating of Education and Experience, 100%

DEFINITION

This is entry-level professional work advising veterans, military members, and/or dependents regarding veterans benefits, available assistance, claim procedures, beneficiary information, and eligibility status.

EXAMPLES OF WORK

Conducts interviews with veterans and dependents; reviews and evaluates background data and current medical and financial information to determine the veteran's potential eligibility for Federal and State veterans benefits and other related programs.

Develops and submits claims packages for veterans and dependents seeking disability, education, medical, and compensation-related benefits; completes claim forms and ensures proper certification of related documentation based upon the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) laws and regulations.

Assists with developing formal appeals of VA claims decisions.

Prepares, maintains, and monitors beneficiary's claim file to ensure continual receipt of VA benefits, prepares annual verification of VA pension eligibility, and reports medical expenses and other expenditures.

Consults with technical experts to determine specifics related to eligibility standards and application requirements for Federal and State veterans benefits.

Advises veterans and family members regarding non-veteran benefits for which they may be eligible such as Social Security, welfare, and vocational rehabilitation.

Serves as program and benefits representative in a designated geographical area; develops and/or presents informational speeches, benefits awareness fairs, programs, and problem-solving sessions to increase awareness of veterans benefits and programs.

Responds to veterans, dependents, and legislators regarding benefit questions.

Performs specialized informational and administrative tasks for applicants and residents of State veterans homes, private nursing homes, and patients in both VA and community hospitals.

Attends and participates in conferences and training programs.

Exercises independence with general administrative direction; work is reviewed through reports and quality review process.

Performs other related work as assigned.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)

Comprehensive knowledge of the application and appeal processes for veterans compensation-related programs and benefits.

Intermediate knowledge of Federal and State veteran-related laws and regulations.

Skill in interviewing, communicating, and interacting with individuals having a wide variety of backgrounds.

Ability to analyze and interpret military and medical records to establish entitlements to service-related benefits.

Ability to assist veterans and dependents to determine potential benefits based on law, policy, and regulation.

Ability to perform community outreach activities such as public speaking and participation in benefit fairs.

Ability to interpret and explain Federal and State benefits, programs, and legislation to interested groups and potential benefit recipients.

Ability to operate computer hardware and software including data entry, word processing, and spreadsheets.

Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, veterans, military personnel, dependents, organizations, and the general public.

Ability to exercise good judgment in appraising situations and independently make decisions.

Ability to communicate effectively.

EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION

(The following requirements will determine merit system eligibility, experience and education ratings, and may be used to evaluate applicants for Missouri Uniform Classification and Pay System positions not requiring selection from merit registers. When practical and possible, the Division of Personnel will accept substitution of experience and education on a year-for-year basis.)

A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 24 earned credit hours in one or a combination of the following: Business, Public, or Personnel Administration; Education; Healthcare Administration; or in the social or behavioral sciences; and possession of an honorable discharge from the military forces of the United States.

OR

Four or more years of technical experience working directly with military personnel or the public with responsibility for analyzing client information, applying relevant laws, rules, and/or procedures, and determining client eligibility for one or more of the following: employment service programs, vocational counseling services, public programs, personnel benefits, social services programs, and /or military or veterans benefits; and possession of a high school diploma or GED certificate; and possession of an honorable discharge from the military forces of the United States.

(Earned credit hours from an accredited college or university which included a minimum of 6 earned credit hours in one or a combination of the following: Business, Public, or Personnel Administration; Education; Healthcare Administration; or in the social or behavioral sciences may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required experience at a rate of 30 earned credit hours for one year.)

Special Note: Military training may substitute for the required experience only when recognized on a transcript from an accredited college or university. When applicable, the stated terms of substitution of earned credit hours for required experience is applied.

(Revised 7/1/12)

this is what the state of Missouri says the job is, to be honest most of them don't do half of this, they do not call veterans or their wives back, exchange e amil etc most will not even give you a e mail address my experience with them is they were all worthless and it was all the veterans groups being a life member does not guarantee you better service if you can read regulations you can probably be your own VSO at least you have the most to gain or lose if it is not handled properly and the fact that it takes months and appeals takes years it can be a very aggravating process I was 7 years and 5 VSOs before I finally got a lawyer to handle my BVA appeal in July 2007 as soon as they allowed us to hire them for appeals at levels lower than the Court of Veteran Appeals I was into a case where the Regional office did not want to deal with the facts "human experimentation" so they just kept denying it ever happened and the VSOs kept telling me to drop it, I didn't and the people here helped me and I kept the appeals going and in the end I won it only took 9 years but it was the cardiac issues that I needed SC to ensure my spouse will have CHAMPVA and DIC when I pass there are some good VSOs out there I just have never met one myself

Well thank you Test. A hell of an answer.

I have read many a webpage that reads "A VSO can.... And can...." but to date I've been wondering how to go about getting that type of service. Not wanting to offend anyone, I've never asked "How do I get on the website style plan".

The org that I have used has called me from their main office collocated with the local VA hospital. I say local, but that is 2 plus hours out. They had called to tell me that the local VSO had used the wrong form. Actually they said "What the heck am I supposed to do with this?" Then it was determined that the wrong form was used. Anyways, that has been the only call to me since I started about a year ago. Over all they are 0-3 for correct paperwork and info. As I am approaching the one year mark I have considered calling the local office however I know I'll just end up leaving a message with the person at the desk. If I shw up there the VSO will be gone.

What can be said? They are free help and probably volunteers... Although according to your post they do get paid. Or at least some do.

Thanks again for the reply.

• In Memoriam

I don't speak for anyone but myself, although many here have experienced the same conditions that I have.

After spending a couple of years with a VSO, I had found them lacking. They don't return calls and are usually gone before the claims are settled. Other members could add a million other misgivings from VSO's, but that isn't really necessary.

I have found that I must develop my own information for my claims. I got buddy letters in the form of affidavits that were notarized. I got my own private medical records from Kaiser Permanente after the VA to sent 1st, 2nd, and 3rd request with no response from the Private Dr.s. The VSO can file these evidence in your VA claim.

The VSO is a good clerk, for you, and that is about it. You can request that they send you a receipt for information that they have added to your claims file and they will send this receipt. It is always good to have a title to each piece of info to refer to in sending evidence. I have always heard that there are good and bad VSO's. I have my opinion based on my own experience.

The rest of the knowledge that you need for your claims must come from a site, such as Hadit, in order for you to understand what is going on.

To better understand the VSO problem just go to your local NSO or VSO office and look at the claims piled up to the ceiling. Just looking at the pile up could discourage even the most sincere and knowledgeable person.

You must become pro active in your claims. It takes a lot, but you can do this.

Thank you Stretch.

I am torn between trying to do this myself and using the help of a VSO. My boots have the words "Toes in first" on the liner so I don't screw that up. I have a difficult time remembering things and keeping things in order. I have been off of AD for about three months. When I filed this BDD claim last SEP, needless to say I was quite upset when I learned that this 6 month BDD process was going to be more like 18 months because that is way outside my mental capacity.

I have thought of using counsel however I doubt they would take the case as there isn't any money in it for them to recover from. If the VA comp is probably only going to be a few hundered $ over what I am getting now from DoD then the entire pot at this time will only be $1,500-$2,000. I don't see any counsel wanting to get into this case for that little. Their only option would be to really drag it out so that they have a bigger pot to pull their split from. Dragging it out will not get the CRSC started any sooner nor the CRDP if that were to come through. Side note, I did submit for CRSC and it sounds like they have green lighted it but can't follow through because there is no VA offset yet.

Thanks again. Sorry for the ramble but I wanted to make sure the info is out there so a reader may be able to develop a better picture and maybe have an idea.

DBltap

To "VSO or not VSO" you should ask yourself some serious questions:

1. Do you have the time to research stuff yourself? Are you good at that? Are you organized, such as do you have a file cabinet and a good file system to store documents you mail to the VA?

2. Can you "remind yourself" not to miss a deadline, such as one year to appeal? Can you afford postage to stuff you send to the VA, reminding you that you should send it certified mail return receipt requested.

IN short if you are a good internet researcher, a good organizer, have a good place to store documents, and are willing to put forth the time and effort in learning, then go ahead.

Someone like Berta probably has no need of a VSO.

However, there are many, many others who do not have a clue where to start, that should have a VSO. Some Vets dont even read well, much less have a computer with internet and knowledge how to use it.

The fact that you are on hadit, is a big plus in your favor. Hadit members will help you whether or not you have a VSO.

• HadIt.com Elder

DblTap1 - I've also found most VSO's to be entirely useless. The VSO's that have offices are usually salaried and can play golf, which is where many spend their time. I suggest you purchase a book entitled the Veterans Benefits Manual(VBM), published by LexisNexis - http://www.lexisnexis.com/store/catalog/booktemplate/productdetail.jsp?pageName=relatedProducts&prodId=12734

It sells for $140, is updated each yr and the new one (2012) should be available this month. It's worth every penny and if a claimant can't win their claim w/it, they probably didn't have a valid claim. (jmo) The VBM explains the process and has boilerplate letters for dealing w/claims. I know $140 sounds like a lot of money but believe me it's so worth it!!!!!

Good luck!

pr