VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva

Rate this question

vetswifeIndy

Question

Hello, I recently applied for ChampVA benefits. Can someone tell me about how long it takes to hear back from them?( I sure hope it doesn't take as long as getting a claim settled). ;)

Thanks so much,

Vetswife

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

By the way, there was a little delay because she sent a copy of her AARP Advantage Medicare card to ChampVA and they wanted a copy of her regular Medicare card that showed she was on Part A and B. She was told it would be easier to drop AARP and go with regular Medicare with ChampVA as the supplement. Then she can use Meds By Mail, too. So she is changing at the end of the month.

Champva is WAY WAY better than the VA, just like VA life insurance is better than VA. Just look at the "satisfaction" ratings...both of the VA insurance's are way better than compensation and pensiion.

My take is because these programs MAKE MONEY. VA life insurance is through Prudential. So they get those done pronto.

Its one of the most maddening things at the VA.

Why is it that Vets families get a death claim check, pronto, but the poor Vet waits forever on his benefits. The VA wants you to die to get your benefits quickly.

• HadIt.com Elder

An interesting Question !

Dependent wife is covered under Medicare/Medicare advantage. When she retired, her state group health plan converted to this coverage.

It's been more than a year since the award qualifying her for Champus occurred.

There are annual changes to medicare and the medicare advantage plans, and with politics the way they are, who knows what might happen.

If Medicare Advantage is dropped, Both her and myself loose any right to reinstate it.

CHAMPUS is not honored by many of the doctors, etc. in the area, due to payment problems.

If somehow the government changes the medicare & medicare advantage "rules" in the middle of the road, so to speak, is there any possibility

(Short of winning a couple of long standing BVA appeals) to her applying for and getting CHAMPUS coverage at a later date?

The "standard rule" was so long after the award that entitled her to the coverage.

When we looked at the situation a short time after the award, CHAMPUS was not a reasonable option. Now, or in the future, it may be.

Not to be political but if the Affordable Health Care Act stays in place the Advantage programs will be toast because the federal subsidy for them will disappear. Most people on them do not realize it. 35% of Florida seniors are on it I read. the Champva spokesman I spoke with for my wife said they prefer it be regular Medicare and champva because there is some sort of double billing issue with the Advantage program.

Also, you are not eligible for the Meds By Mail program if you are on an Advantage Medicare Plan and Liz wants to use that.

Chuck

You could try calling Champva with your question. I have found Champva's answers 5000% more reliable than the VA. You may have to get a supervisor to answer.

Deanbrt

I agree. If the Affordable Health care act gets through the challenges, then why would Va medical be needed, if everyone gets medical care? If Vets and non Vets are treated the same as far as health care, then seperating them would make about as much sense as seperating health care into "blue shirts" and "red shirts".