VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dnetal Services With The Va.

Rate this question

sawgunner

Question

Can you gouys tell em what the co pay will be for me if I use a VA dentist?

I am service connected at 80% and therefor don't pay a copay for medical issues/meds.

Also....

Will the VA do porcelain crowns and veneers, or is that stuff considered cosmetic?

The insurance at ,y job will likely not cover all the caps or veneers I"ll need.

Any thoughts would be a great help.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Can you gouys tell em what the co pay will be for me if I use a VA dentist?

I am service connected at 80% and therefor don't pay a copay for medical issues/meds.

Also....

Will the VA do porcelain crowns and veneers, or is that stuff considered cosmetic?

The insurance at ,y job will likely not cover all the caps or veneers I"ll need.

Any thoughts would be a great help.

I doubt VA will do your dental work, unless you are service connected for dental/jaw damage, or are 100% P&T, or are receiving Voc Ed services and your dental problems interfere w/your training. You may not have to be P&T but you definitely need to be 100%, as 80% doesn't cut it. Sorry! Others will probably jump in as they wake up.

pr

Thanks Phillip.

Okay.....

How about this situation.....

When my NG unit was called up for the war effort, I was examined by an Army dentist at Ft Eustis who stated then (2003) that I needed to have my wisdom teeth cut out... In a bad kind of way.

Our orders got cut before my teeth did but there should be a record of that.

Yesterday, I was told by my local dentist that I REALLY need those teeth cut out.

Question...

Could I get service connected for the wisdom teeth that needed to be cut out but were not?

That problem was discovered by an Army dentist while I was on active duty orders.

Thanks so much guys.

If you look at your dd214 there is a box that says member was provided dental service prior to separation. If it was marked no then you had like 90 days to get into the va and get an appt. if it says yes then that is it and it is on you. I didn't know about this either and needed a root canal shortly after separating. Jmho

http://m.military.com/benefits/veterans-health-care/va-outpatient-dental-care.html

Effective January 28, 2008, recently discharged veterans with a service-connected noncompensable dental condition or disability who served on active duty 90 days or more and who apply for VA dental care within 180 days of separation from active duty, may receive one time treatment for dental conditions if the dental condition is shown to have existed at the time of discharge or release and the veteran?s certificate of discharge does not indicate that the veteran received necessary dental care within a 90-day period prior to discharge or release. This includes veterans who reentered active military, naval, or air service within 90 days after the date of a prior discharge and; veterans whose disqualifying discharge or release has been corrected by competent authority

Note: Veterans discharged between August 1, 2007, and January 27, 2008, are eligible for the dental benefit by making application within 180 days of their discharge. Veterans previously denied this one time dental benefit because application was made outside of the previously mandated 90 day period after separation will be contacted to review and correct, as appropriate, your application denial. Affected veterans may also contact their local medical center to review and correct, as appropriate, their denied application.

Edited by T8r

There is no requirement to be 100% P&T to be dental eligible, just a non-temporary 100% rating. IU, no matter what the schedular percentage, makes a vet eligible.

There is an interesting BVA decision regarding Class II (one time care coming off AD) I am aware of a BVA ruling that a veteran was entitled to VA dental care, 12 years after separation, because the veteran proved she was not made aware of the one-time dental eligibility, and her DD 214 was marked that she had not received an exam and/or necessary care. It is the VA's responsiblity to inform all separating service members of all their VA entitlements. The problem with BVA decisions is that they can only be applied to the specific case under review, since the decision hinges on the facts presented for that one case.

In the case of wisdom identified as needing extraction at a pre-deployment exam: dental disease present at the time of activation or accession to AD is pre-existing, and can be ruled to be not service connected, for VA treatment purposes. One reason the VA rarely does braces for people is that crooked teeth is almost always a developmental problem, existing prior to service.