Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Informal Claim

Rate this question

Zechs

Question

To set my effective date through an informal claim, I know I need to state what condition I'm filing for on a form 21-4138, but do I need to state the symptoms or go into any greater detail?

I'm still gathering evidence, so I don't want to trigger a full claim at the moment, just stake an effective date and my intentions on formally filing within a year.

Great advice given by NavyWife.

Folks:

This is all very interesting as I submitted my first VA Disability Claim 7 weeks ago which is an FDC. I used to be a Federal FOIA Officer so I followed the rules according the regulations and specific rules of evidence-by the book. My informal claim for the same contentions was submitted on December 6, 2013 to "save the date". I also, ensured that 13 DBQ's were completed and part of the claims submission to try and speed along the process of my FDC claim. I did find out that my claims package was rescanned and converted to digital into the VBMS system by a contractor. Anyway, so far, it's been 7 weeks since my fully develped claim (with all evidence provided) claim was submitted and "ebenefits" continue to give a status that says it's "under review"? Over the last 7 weeks, I have not received anything in the mail? Also, my FDC completion date that I was given in ebenefits was 18 months from the date that I submitted it 7 weeks ago. So, unless things change, all of the extra work to specifally file an FDC may have not made the difference? But, one never knows and I may be surprised. Either way, I'll post when I have movement so others can see it..

NavyWife:

Although I submitted an informal claim on December 6, 2013 to "save the date", and my FDC with all of the evidence on June 30, 2014, I was advised by my VSO that the date of my "claim" would remain June 30, 2014? I was advised by the VSO that we could eventually request retro pay if I have a successful claim back to Dec 6, 2013 adnyway. My contentions are all of the same for both dates and never change. Also, I do know that VA has access to all of my local military records back in Dec 2013. So, I would interpret your post to mean someone in my situation should have had my FDC backdated to Dece 2013 instead of Jujne 30, 2014 - is that true? Could you further advise about the correct date? This whole situation has been very confusing and it would be nice to get an accurate interpretation. My VSo is more of a clerk than and adviser or presentative so I don't trust much of her advise.