VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Use Of Military Base Hospital

Rate this topic

My wife who had a terrible stroke almost 8 years ago and I are in our M. Home park on Ft. Sam Houston, Texas. She started speaking in words that made not since and I was worried about another stroke. I rushed her to the nearest hospital which was the Military hospital. They took her in ran tests and she saw numerous M.D.'s . They ran a catscan and other tests. Then they said since I was not a Mil. retiree but just P&T that they could not keep her but recommended that she be moved to a private hospital. A mems team picked her up and she was moved to another hospital in San Antonio.

Now what happens? Will the Military hospital bill her, bill Medicare and Champva or who for the service they provided. Has anyone gone thru this before?

Thanks Red

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

That's a very good question! I wish I knew the answer.

A military medical facility does have an option/obligation to treat an emergency patient, "stabilize", and transfer,

much as any hospital emergency room might. When I was working on an AFB as a contractor,

this was policy for those not eligible for military medical care. Contractors generally had medical insurance,

and state workman's comp could also be involved. There also was a question as to "Co-Pay".

It's remotely possible that they will "write it off" as a community service, or as "training".

As to who they might bill - - if you had private insurance, they certainly would bill that.

I don't think that they can bill Medicare or CHAMPVA, but I easily might be wrong!

I'd likely not "rock the boat", and see what happens. If you were to inquire, that might toggle bill generation that could be sent to (who else?) you.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

No matter what happens Medicare and ChamvVA are supposed to pay everything except the copays on meds. Sit back and see what happens.

My wife who had a terrible stroke almost 8 years ago and I are in our M. Home park on Ft. Sam Houston, Texas. She started speaking in words that made not since and I was worried about another stroke. I rushed her to the nearest hospital which was the Military hospital. They took her in ran tests and she saw numerous M.D.'s . They ran a catscan and other tests. Then they said since I was not a Mil. retiree but just P&T that they could not keep her but recommended that she be moved to a private hospital. A mems team picked her up and she was moved to another hospital in San Antonio.

Now what happens? Will the Military hospital bill her, bill Medicare and Champva or who for the service they provided. Has anyone gone thru this before?

Thanks Red

Frankly, I am surprised they even saw her, the law clearly states that your weren't entitled to medical care at a Military hospital, except to stabilize in emergency situation. I suspect they will bill your insurance company ( who ever they may be).. but since your not even authorized their services I don't know how they will bill anyone..... I sincerely hope you wife is doing fine now...

Edited by Teac