Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fers Disability, Va Comp, Military Retirement And Ssdi

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

I'll try not to confuse anyone, but have a few questions.

Can a person collect all of these at the same time without any offsets?

I read that SSDI cannot be offset by VA comp, but not sure if all 4 of these (FERS disability, VA Comp, Military retirement and SSDI) can be collected without offset.

Thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know you can collect FERS disability, SSDI and VA compensation at the same time. Your FERS will be offset by 60% of what you get from SSDI until you reach full retirement age which is 62. I collected all three from age 53 until age 62 when the SSDI offset went away. The FERS retirement is really not much to get excited about it is much less than VA 100%. My VA money is equal to more than SSDI and FERS together. Before age 62 I only got about $250 a month from FERS after deductions for insurance. How old are you may I ask?

John

FERS disability retirement is 60% of your current salary for the 1st year and 40% thereafter. You have to apply for SSDI as part of your FERS disability package. Once you start receiving both, your FERS disability will be decreased/offset by the amount of SSDI you receive. VA disability compensation and military retirement are completely separate and depends on if you are service connected at 50% or more.

You can collect all at the same time ...and then some.... I do :)

FERS is offset by SS or SSD by law ( which really sucks if you did other work besides civil service)

Chapter 61, military retirement w/less than 20 years is offset by VA compensation dollar for dollar,

In addition Combat related special compensation can be collected at the same time

Finally, over 20 year military retirees can chose between disability retirement ( concurrent receipt) or Combat related special compensation

Edited by Teac