Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost My Job Due To My Sc Disability

Rate this question

88 mike

Question

I lost my job due to my sc disability a few weeks ago. My neurosurgeon recommended me to have a second surgery on my lower back. He also ordered me a functional capacity test and the results stated that I shouldn't lift no more than 10 lbs. My required me to lift up to 40 lb. So what can or what should I do concerning compensation? I am currently rated at 40% for my lower back and 20% for my right leg. Please respond everyone who can help me out in this matter.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have restrictions that say "no lifting beyond 10 lbs" don't let some doctor make you lift 40lbs.

That makes a liar out of you and your restrictions. If it is over 10lbs attempt to lift but stop as soon as you feel slightest pain and drop it. I agree about the back surgery. That is 50/50 unless you can't control your bowls. One surgery leads to another and chronic pain syndrome.

In looking at the second surgery which is recommended does the surgeon estimate a time frame you might not be able to work? Due to the procedure what limitations does he/she place on when/what recovery time? You may be able to get temp 100% during your surgery/recovery time. Do you have a VSO helping you?

• HadIt.com Elder

Most "light duty" office jobs require an ability to lift 25lbs (or more).

I believe that ten lbs is below the usual employment questionnaire value.

As to SSA, it's possible to prowl around the web, and get an idea of what SSA

considers as evidence. There are some key questions the SSA will ask, either in person, on a form, or both to see if what you say matches what you wrote.

It can also make a difference as to how you class the job you can no longer do.

When I dealt with SSA, one of the key questions had to do with climbing ladders.

It was also better to show that the job you can no longer do had light to moderate physical activity, rather than

minimal or heavy.

I might have classed what I did as technical, administrative, supervision, skilled, and so forth.

The best choice for me was technical supervision, since that gave credence to physical activity as well as skilled,

job mental complexity, training and experience requirements, etc. (No, that was not one of the check the box choices.)

One of the problems with SSA is that if you hold a college degree, it's assumed that you are qualified for sedentary positions,

even when you were working in an active position. This relaxes the physical standards that the SSA can use.

WHEN i WAS LET GO BACK IN 09 BECAUSE OF AND BASED ON MY sc CONDITIONS. i WAS mad like you and wanted heads to roll and I was going to bust my ex emplyers chops!

How could they just let me go and make it look like I wasn't carrying my own weight and holding back the company. Well I have now been retired now for 4 years and my health if I had contiued to work would have probably have me in the ground 3 years ago! Sometimes someone needs to make decissions for us that we can not or do not want to make.

I went ahead and filed for SSDI and was granted in 4 months so I guess someone knew more than me.

Don't get me wrong I would love to still me working now but it just is not in the cards for me to work and stay alive. So I take one day at a time and get by doing others things that my drs. say I can do and I am pretty content now.

You on the other hand are going to need all the documentations you can get especially from the doc that limits your lifting. It will not be easy to get ssdi and iu and unfortunately it is going to take time. I hope you have savings to help you get along why you are waiting.

by the way how old you are comes in to play a lot with the SSA.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was 51 when USPS fired me. They did not know it but they threw Bro Rabbit into the thorn patch. Now I make twice what I used to make. I did hire a lawyer because I was a federal employee. I really could not do the job any more, but could not stand the idea of retirement until I just forced their hand. Something inside us knows when it is time. If they wanted to they could have kept me, but I was a pain in the ass, so out the door I went.

John