Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ad With Admin Discharge Coming Soon - Is A Claim Worth Filing?

Rate this question

jesusplay

Question

I've been in the air force 3 years. Last year I had a suicide attempt, I stopped hanging out with friends, going off on co workers, yelling at supervisors, work performance horrible, constantly late, staying in my room, hoarding stuff, not doing basic hygiene...etc. Psych said I have bi polar. I never had any of these symptoms before coming in.

sought help in november 2012. Been on anti depressants and benzos, I leveled out.

I'm getting admin discharge: Honorable for 5 pt failures in a row...I'm fit, I'm 6 ft, 165, 26 inch waist. Due to my bipolar and anxiety issues I freak out during the run portion of my test. any non pt test I run a 11:40-12:00 run time.

I have tinntius from the benzos the doctor prescribed me.

I'm bi polar.

I've been having more down days due to the stress right now. I don't know where I'm going to live. A guy in my squadron was telling me that I should be eligible for disability compensation? how do I do this and is it even worth it? I don't want to waste time for nothing.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

PEBLO Physical EValuation Board Liason Officer.

Geez, they are advertising for a PEBLO at Minot AFB here:

tabheadergray.jpgPublic Affairs Office

5th Bomb Wing Public Affairs
201 Summit Dr., Ste. 201
Minot AFB, ND 58705-2000

Commercial: 701-723-6212
DSN: 453-6212

"I was told I'm not eligible for a MEB because I'm a first term airman."

Did the AF mention a PEB?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

OK I think I jumped the gun here. The ADC is the Area Defense COunsel so they are higher up then a PEBLO I think and this is the help you really need.

We need enlisted men and women who love the Air Force.....I am glad you have talked to the ADC and hopefully you can get what you need from that Primary doctor.

Good move AIrman ---you googled the medicine.!!!!! I bet there are other good print outs too and you could show them to the doctor.

Were you able to narrow the google search down to the exact med you take???

I guess my other post didnt fit the bill. I think you will be able to see this through with a result you want!

thanks. thanks.

now i'm pretty confident I won't get discharged. Just curious, would I be eligible for va disability if I do happen to get discharged?

Edited by jesusplay

Absolutely.

"I have tinntius from the benzos the doctor prescribed me." Claim that and try to get the doctor to document the benzos caused the tinnitus.and the doc could refer to any good internet print out on that.

"I'm bi polar" You enlisted with no mental health issues and the bi polar manifested itself in service.

"Psych said I have bi polar. I never had any of these symptoms before coming in.: I assume that is all in your entrance exit (no MH issues) and in your SMRs.

If you do get discharged at this point, hopefully not, or even when you get discharged if they let you continue your enlistment period, make sure you file the claim within one year after discharge , as this will preserve your EED (earliest effective date for Retroactive compensation) and it will be the day after your discharge.

Keep us informed here as to how all this goes....

I am hoping you will definitely make out OK and your problems stated here are being read by others who might be having the same inservice problems.

I personally think some of this stuff is bogus Military crap just to reduce our Armed Forces and to try to prevent re-enlistments.To save $$$

"I was told I'm not eligible for a MEB because I'm a first term airman."

THANK YOU for that info....... I am trying my best to understand these military medical evaluation issues because I fear many OEFs might be having similiar problems like yours.

The Mil has changed OEF to what is now OND, Operation New Dawn and I was shocked to learn there are still 50,000 men and women in Iraq working on stability ops and advisory and training positions.

Of that 50 thousand there are bound to be many finding themselves with all kinds of problem in transition.

Not to mention stateside Military personnel ,with transition problems like yours too.

You aren't alone. Your posts here will help someone else I am sure out there.

Hang in there and let us know the progress you are making.

Edited by Berta

I'm not sure why the AF didn't med board you after your suicide attempt.Just because you are a first term Airmen, that has no bearing on a med board. I think someone was blowing smoke up your backside. In some cases with mental health issues the Commander has the authority to discharge you. but you still have the right to seek legal advice concerning your situation.

And, like you have been told by others, you can apply for service-connection disability if your command decides to release you. You also have to be concerned on the type of discharge you receive if they do release you. Some chapters are not eligible for benefits from the VA.

Good luck and I hope that you are receiving the assistance (health wise) that you need.