VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ad With Admin Discharge Coming Soon - Is A Claim Worth Filing?

Rate this question

jesusplay

Question

I've been in the air force 3 years. Last year I had a suicide attempt, I stopped hanging out with friends, going off on co workers, yelling at supervisors, work performance horrible, constantly late, staying in my room, hoarding stuff, not doing basic hygiene...etc. Psych said I have bi polar. I never had any of these symptoms before coming in.

sought help in november 2012. Been on anti depressants and benzos, I leveled out.

I'm getting admin discharge: Honorable for 5 pt failures in a row...I'm fit, I'm 6 ft, 165, 26 inch waist. Due to my bipolar and anxiety issues I freak out during the run portion of my test. any non pt test I run a 11:40-12:00 run time.

I have tinntius from the benzos the doctor prescribed me.

I'm bi polar.

I've been having more down days due to the stress right now. I don't know where I'm going to live. A guy in my squadron was telling me that I should be eligible for disability compensation? how do I do this and is it even worth it? I don't want to waste time for nothing.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I helped a vet get SC for Bi Polar many many years after his service.His claim took almost ten years.Part of that problem was he kept forgetting to ask NARA for his 201 (Personnel ) file. Also his shrink didnt document a crucial inservice event that was manifestation of Bi polar. Another big problem we had was that he mustered out of the Navy in the 1960s and the Military know didnt know what bi polar was and gave him a Captains Mass and threw him in the brig.For a Bi polar episode .

His VA shrink finally wrote a strong opinion that helped him. You have more opportunity then he did now to avoid these pitfalls we had working on his Bi polar SC claim.

"I have tinntius from the benzos the doctor prescribed me."

Did the doctor note that the benzos were the cause of tinnitus in your SMRs?

"I'm bi polar."

Is that clearly noted as a diagnosis in your SMRs? Without any other MH issues noted?

Dont leave the Mil without a full exit exam noting these conditions and you should be able to get a copy of you SMR records as they continue to occur before you leave the Mil.

Make sure you leave with ALL of the SMRs.

Make sure you get contact info from some of your squadron buddies too,if you can.

"I'm getting admin discharge: Honorable for 5 pt failures in a row."

Is this like the PUHLES ?

I assume you are being MEBed out or PEBed out.

The guy in your squadron is correct. You need to file a VA claim for disability.

Are their any VSOs or vet reps from the DAV, VFW, American Legion etc, ever on your base?

Do you have a PEBLO yet?

PEBLO Physical Evaluation Board Liason Officer

Does your command have something like a Soldiers Counsel?

Dont sign any waivers....check here if they ask you to do that.

Edited by Berta

These 2 links also might help you:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/331196512

http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/air-force-meb-peb.8438/

You definitely need a PEBLO.

Where are you stationed? Maybe I can find contact info for one.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know I was arrested by MP's for insisting to executive officer that I would not leave the office until I got help for my mental health issues. The Army used this to court martial me (special courts martial). My defense lawyer,JAG, (a joke) told me to take the administrative discharge offered for a PD (General under Honorable). I had 28 months in on a three year enlistment. I was under psychiatric care at the time, but having a hard time with the crummy army shrink.

I was not offered MEB or PEB even after two months in the Army nuthouse. If you are getting administrative discharge I am not sure you get MEB or PEB. You just get a ride to the gate. This is wrong, wrong, wrong. Is the vet being discharged as unfit or unsuitable?

I'm at minot afb, ND.

I'm not families with those terms.

All I know is that I have an assessment to determine if I was physically fit for the test or not exam with my primary care.

I've googled and it says anti depressants can effect heart rate and make you slow! Why the hell haven't I been on a run waiver?? I'm an excellent troop, never been in trouble, no paperwork. Only have a few talking to's off the record.

I don't know what to do and no one is helping me, I love the Air Force.

I'm apparently unfit? I seen all these over weight people who take walk test yet me, I'm getting kicked out..

I talked to ADC they said If my primary care marks down my condition effected my pt test I can't be discharged.....In the even't I do I'm seeking help.

Edited by jesusplay

These 2 links also might help you:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/331196512

http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/air-force-meb-peb.8438/

You definitely need a PEBLO.

Where are you stationed? Maybe I can find contact info for one.

I'm confused? whats PEBLO? Who do I bring this up with? I was told I'm not eligible for a MEB because I'm a first term airman.