• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

THANKS!!!!!

The FL makes sense and you would think VA could have handled DIC claims this way all along.

They reiterated the fact that a death certificate can state a Primary cause of death that could render the obvious DIC award (because of established SC disability in the veteran's lifetime and again reminded that a "contributory" cause of death , as defined in this Fast Letter also could lend to death.

With the tremendous backlog I dont believe this will really speed up most DIC claims. But I hope it will.

And at least the VA recognized that often a DIC award is critical to a survivor dealing with a completely different financial situation, after a veteran dies.

That is why SDVL and/or any other life insurance on the veteran can be so important.

Private Life Insurance proceeds come within about 2 weeks and a funeral director wants to get paid ASAP.

A DIC award will surely cover some of the funeral expenses , as a separate application and this letter says nothing about accrued benefits which would,in many cases, take longer than the DIC claim.

VA is doing all they can to get out from under the backlog gun.I am surprised they even considered us widows at all for the basis of a fast letter.

THANKS

Edited by Berta

For the most part the only hold up to DIC claims have always been the wait of the death certificate. My neighbor who's husband died in Feb 2012, waited three months for he death certificate and award ( her husbands death was due to a service connected issue).

I think that the DIC program went to h--- when they moved all DIC claims to the milwaukee VARO. They should of left that program alone and let each states VARO handle them. I remember doing a DIC claim and the surviving spouse having an answer/payment within 30 days. Now, it's unbelivable the time they are taking, I've seen a few of these taking almost a year and that's just wrong...

With this new FL, hopefully, things will start rolling..