• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Successful. Half Way At Least.

Rate this topic

Franks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will really need to get an IMO done by a doctor to see if the hypertension is from the BP....I know whenever my anxiety kicks in my blood pressure shoots way up so I know how you feel...

Good job-hang in there

uploaded_70725001942aa6734990be.gif

The reason for the other two denials are as follows:

Hypertension

"Service treatment records do not reflect complaints or treatment for high blood pressure or hypertension The October 2000 and November 2000 reports of Medical History, completed for separation purposes, reflects that he checked the "NO" box for "High or Low blood pressure " The October 2000 Report of medical Examination, completed for separation purposes, reflects that his blood pressure reading was 126/60. The veteran again underwent medical examination in November 2000, at which time his blood pressure reading was 130/78 (MY Notes: This is pre-hypertension). Post service treatment records document that veteran is currently diagnosed with and being treated for hypertension.

The veteran underwent VA examination in June 2011, and additional opinions were obtained from an independent medical examiner in August 2012. At the June 2011 VA examination the examiner noted a diagnosis of hypertension well controlled by medication. In finding that the veteran's hypertension is not likely related directly to his time in service, the examiner noted that the veteran's service treatment records, and in particular his October and November 2000 separation medical examinations noted no diagnosis of or treatment for hypertension or High blood pressure. The independent medical examiner expanded on these findings in the August 2012 report, opining that it is less likely than not that the veteran's Hypertension was caused or aggravated by his service-connected bipolar disorder. In so finding, the examiner stated that there is no evidence that bipolar disorder causes hypertension."

Rheumatoid Arthritis

"The board finds that the preponderance of the evidence is against a finding that the veteran has rheumatoid arthritis A may 2003 VA treatment record reflects that the veteran was referred to rheumatology for evaluation after complaints of "non-specific aches and pains of his body," including muscle and joint pain. At the time, laboratory testing returned negative results for rheumatoid arthritis At a later rheumatology consult in September 2007, the veteran complained of a four-year history of muscle and joint pain. A "weakly positive" rheumatoid factor was noted on laboratory testing, but the examiner found the veteran's bilateral knee and shoulder pain to have unclear etiology. The rheumatologist speculated that the positive test could be a false positive, and no diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis was assigned."

Isn't it amazing that when a veteran is asked whether he has hypertension on a screening form and says NO the VA jumps on it and says "see in xxx/yyy veteran denied hypertension existed" CLAIM DENIED.

A veteran has a compound open fracture of his leg, with the bone sticking out while in service. The medical records from the actual event are lost. The veteran states he had a broken leg in service and the fact his right leg is shorter than his left is a residual of that fracture. In this case the VA screams "VETERAN IS NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL" CLAIM DENIED.

I know the second is a bit of an extreme example, but these RVSR's seem to selectivley enforce the rules.

The sad thing is this pre-hypertension without a strong IMO is going to be almost impossible to win. Have you combed through your SMR's and reviewed all recorded BP's. As far as secondary connection, I don't think it is a stretch to get a connection to the Fybromyalgia, just be sure your doctor provides some reasons why the Fibro elevates blood pressure.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use