Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

I AM A 90% VET AND THE DAV REP TOLD ME TO GET THE DOCTOR TO WRITE A LETTER STATING THAT I CAN'T WORK BECAUSE OF MY HEADACHES (50%) THEY SAID EVERYTHING IS IN MY TREATMENT NOTES ABOUT MY HEADACHES AND WILL NOT WRITE THE LETTER.I'M NOT WORKING NOW AND I THINK I SHOULD STILL PUT IN FOR TDIU,DO YOU THINK I SHOULD STILL BE WITH THIS DAV REP OR GET SOME ONE ELSE TO HANDLE THIS.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Go for it. If all the info is in your treatment records. Some doctors won't write a letter, be it VA doctors or outside the system doctors due to their job security. Get another rep. I never did get any help from the DAV, just request for more money. Get letters from family, your last employer or people you who know you can't work and send them to the VA. They will accept lay statements as evidence in your claim. Good luck.

Buzz, have you applied for SSDI?

A Social Security award for disability ,if solely for the same SC conditions, is good evidence for TDIU. It is,in essense ,an independent medical opinion.

I feel your DAV REP did the right thing, he should have given you the TDIU form.

It is here somewhere (form 21-8940) and we have info in our TDIU forum as to how to prepare the form.

Question 18 ...check yes and then apply for SSDI or under Remarks # 25, tell them, if you get SSDI solely for your SCs.

Also under remarks tell them of the side affects of any of your SC meds that would hinder employment, such as dont take and drive, causes confusion, drowsiness etc etc and enclose a good medical print out of the side affects from the internet or from the side affect thing that usually comes with the meds.

I think you meant a VA doctor would not write an opinion on TDIU.

You could seek a private IMO doctor for that but it would be costly.....

Can you tell us the breakdown of the 90%?

I assume in the award you got, that got you up to 90%,VA didnt consider you for TDIU because you were employed then?????

<p>forgot to add, under Remarks # 25 ,there isnt much room. Just put I refer you to additional information enclosed.</p>

<p>On that additional info, put your C file, name and address on it and then state anything else they should know, like the side affects of the meds, and list any evidence you send with this and the TDIU form (keep a copy of it for your records and send it to them with a Proof of Mailing.You can print off the 21-4138 form and use that form for this attached info&nbsp; too.</p>

<p>I always use USPS Priority and pay a little extra for a tracking slip.</p>

<p>Then a few days later I go to the USPS tracking web site and print off proof from USPS that the stuff was delivered to and received by the VA.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>I submitted 3-4 pages of copies of&nbsp; 53 green and white USP tracking slips to VA, with some testimony I gave years ago to the House Vets Affairs Committee.(during what I deemed&nbsp; &quot;Shreddergate&quot;)</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>The Buffalo VARO had ignored or lost or shredded most if not all of those evidence submissions, to include 4 thousand bucks of IMOs .</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>My proof was their SOCs, and SSOCs that never mentioned this evidence&nbsp; at all.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>One never knows when they might have to prove VA received their evidence, their VCAA response form,&nbsp; or even their timely NOD.</p>

Edited by Berta

Just came back from a va appt.told the MH doctor about one doctor wouldn't write a statment about my headaches,that I'm thinking of filing for IU.He said he would (on a special form) that doctors have ,claiming IU for PTSD (50%) and for my headaches he said my primary doctor would have to also file a special form,hope he does. Do you think one of these doctors will help me,with this form,in getting IU.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd be leery of messing with a PTSD claim if there is a reasonable alternative. PTSD is currently one of the "hot buttons", and some of the repercussions of a successful claim can be onerous.