Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oth And Benefits Eligibilty

Rate this question

kbodine

Question

I was in the US Navy from June 1978 to April 1984 on active duty and received an Honorable Discharge at the rank of E-5. In May 1986, I re-entered the US Navy on active duty at the rank of E-5. During that time I suffered from alcoholism, severve depression and uibstance abuse. I had a NJP (Captain's Mast) for alcohol related incident (DUI) and then I tested positive for illegal substance and had another NJP (Captain's Mast) and was given an OTH for misconduct-drug abuse. Since I had served on active duty from June 1978 to April 1984 with no incidents at all, am I eligible for VA benefits (Medical) ? I have been in and out of re-hab for substance abuse and I am looking to seek help from the VA, any response or assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you are if your disabilities were incurred during a period of honorable service.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

78 to 84 is good. To reiterate post above. Be sure if you claim anything to specifically state it was during you good period, otherwise it brings in a cod character of discharge determination for other period if you claim something for it and that will stall your claim even longer than what it will already take. Also you should be eligible for health benefits like any other vet as long as you meet the same requirements (income, svc, net worth). Jmho

Thank you to all...this information has helped and I have been able to set an appointment with local VA to start benefit claim and assistance...I did find out that because i served from 1978 to 1984 with Honorable Discharge that I should be eligible for most benefits, again thanks