Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Proving Ptsd Is Permanent

Rate this question

michaelr5343

Question

I am a combat veteran who was diagnosed with PTSD in 2009 following my service in Iraq. Additionally, I suffered a traumatic brain injury from a motorcycle collision as a civilian police officer.

In December 2012, I was finally awarded an increase from 70 percent to 100 percent disability. However, I was not awarded the permanent status, which as you all know, opens the door to benefits I need for my family. Rather, I was scheduled for an appointment for five years from now by the VA whereby, I will be evaluated and MAY receive permanent status. There is no doubt this decision by the VA is in error as my condition has continued to be a prevalent part of my daily life and in many cases, has worsened.

I have sought independent opinion from a local psychiatrist who confirmed my diagnosis and the severity, but does not feel confident with a permanent prognosis due in large part to my recent graduation from graduate school.

Can any of you direct me toward any studies or other credible sources which I may cite in my argument to the VA? The standard is that there is no reasonable likelihood that my condition will improve in my life time. I'm finding in my research that this is a subjective and vague standard, and one not easily explained.

Any insight you may have is greatly appreciated.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm afraid that you have run into one of the many problems with the way that the VA deals with PTSD. The only solution that I'm aware of involves one or more "qualified" (as in qualified by the VA's rules) doctors to render an opinion that your PTSD is permanent.

The recent change in VA's rules about who can give an opinion concerning PTSD that the VA will accept has also made the situation more difficult to resolve.

The changes, at the same time, "liberalized" some criteria, and placed the determination of severity solely in the hands of the VA's C&P "examiners".

You can appeal the decision, it's just difficult to prevail.

Michael, without all the rules that chuck just mention, I need you to hang in there, the VA gave me several Cp's. three to be exact in one year, I was angry, confuse and distrustful, but in the end I got my P&T. Age has something to do with it also. I am still in my battle with PTSD, it is permanent indeed. Don't give up.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It gets better. With the upcoming release of the DSM-V,things will change yet again.

Here is a link with juicy details about the controversial new release

http://nonprofitquarterly.org/policysocial-context/22271-another-wrench-in-the-mental-health-system-dsm-5-rejected-by-nimh.html

This will need to be digested by the VA policy makers before we see the impact it may have on us vets. Hopefully it will make things easier.

Unfortunately, we are all caught up in the VA's red tape.

Edited by Vync

It gets better. With the upcoming release of the DSM-V,things will change yet again.

Here is a link with juicy details about the controversial new release

http://nonprofitquarterly.org/policysocial-context/22271-another-wrench-in-the-mental-health-system-dsm-5-rejected-by-nimh.html

Vync,

I'm guessing it will still be a couple / few more years before any changes in the current DSM-IV

are actually accomplished and finalized on a re-write.

I think it's been in the makings for update, around 5 or 6 years already.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Heh, makes me wish I got paid to write books that never get published ph34r.png