VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Va Pain Medication Policy

Rate this topic

Your best bet is to get away from the VA by getting SSDI so you can get medicare or get P&T and get Tricare/ChampVA or whatever the name. Or get both. As soon as I get my P&T I am getting out of the VA and heading straight to a surgeon to get my life back. I feel the VA should pay for the surgery since its all service connected and I shouldn't have to pay a cent.

2 hours ago, rpowell01 said:

Your best bet is to get away from the VA by getting SSDI so you can get medicare or get P&T and get Tricare/ChampVA or whatever the name. Or get both. As soon as I get my P&T I am getting out of the VA and heading straight to a surgeon to get my life back. I feel the VA should pay for the surgery since its all service connected and I shouldn't have to pay a cent.

Sadly, veterans even rated 100% PT do not receive champva or tricare (unless they were otherwise eligible for tricare, retired, etc.)  I am also disabled through social security and well, it isn't that easy to find doctors who accept medicare.  I much prefer the VA where I live, I have had very little complaints over my heatlhcare in the last 10 years.  I know not all VA clinics/hospitals are equal, nor are the providers but medicare isn't always the best option either.  My dependents do receive champva, although they have never used it.

CHAMPVA eligibility

To be eligible for CHAMPVA, you cannot be eligible for TRICARE, and you must be in one of these categories:

1. The spouse or child of a Veteran who has been rated permanently and totally disabled for a service-connected disability by a VA regional office.
  2. The surviving spouse or child of a Veteran who died from a VA-rated service-connected disability.
  3. The surviving spouse or child of a Veteran who was at the time death rated permanently and totally disabled from a service-connected disability.
  4. The surviving spouse or child of a military member who died in the line of duty, not due to misconduct (in most of these cases, these family members are eligible for TRICARE, not CHAMPVA).
I guess this is what I meant to say why I want P&T..My spouse needs it badly...

Also I cannot get Medicare supplement through AARP because of my age which I am about to file a complaint on because they refuse to provide service based on age which is a no,no. If I were to get a supplement somewhere else I could not afford it...

For all you folks who live in Colorado are very, very lucky, you can get pain meds from a street corner store as in cannabis. I am still thinking of taking a weekend trip out there to test the grounds...Just Charlottes strain, very, very low THC but normal cannabis which is for pain while THC is the psychoactive chemical that gets you high which I don't want.

Edited by rpowell01

1 minute ago, rpowell01 said:

Also I cannot get Medicare supplement through AARP because of my age which I am about to file a complaint on because they refuse to provide service based on age which is a no,no. If I were to get a supplement somewhere else I could not afford it...

I completely understand, which is another reason I do not use medicare, useless for me honestly.  Champva is nice for my family, we haven't used it in two years, except for my college aged daughter who aged out of her dad's tricare eligibility, she then went onto champva for a year or so while she finished college.  I will say the transition from them being on tricare to champva was a NIGHTMARE, had to get my congresswoman involved, etc.  Some states do provide medicaid if you are under a certain income limit and medicare eligible, you may want to check into that.

if anyone need help and treatment for pain and refuse to take

narcotics, or fail your drug test for your pills or opiates, VA has to offer you

some type of treatment for your pain & opiates uses . Tell them you want to get

off of pills for pain & narcotics for pain but need some type treatment for the

pain & they will offer you all types treatments. jmho