Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Are My Chances?

Rate this question

Douglas Kessler

Question

I am 70% disabled. 0% NHL, 20%PN, 10% ears,50%PTSD. I filed for PTIU, however I took early retirement at age 62. I am 66 years of age now. I already receive regular SS benefits, Teachers Retirement. I took early retirement because I have a compromised immune system secondary to non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It is rated at 0%. I filed a NOD for the 0% rating recently. How good are my chances to receive TDIU? I have 2 doctors statements(IMO), also have the school district to complete the VA form, stating my reason for separation. I can't work in the public anymore, I get sick with infection after another, the last was mononuceosis that lasted for months. Along with the doctor's statements I had friends and family to verify how sick I get from natural contacts with the public. My May appt with the VA doctor verified that my iron stores are low, and my red blood cells are enlarged. Wat to do next? Other than wait. I was just wondering about my age, and already being retired.

Edited by Douglas Kessler

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I kind of agree with Harleyman but of course you don't want to hear that and I can understand.

One question I do have for you is why did you not apply for SSDI that would help your iu claim if it had been awarded.

I think your appeal possibility is 50/50 and you very well could get granted!

I think that we vets do not fully understand what IU means to the VA? It appears to me that they will fight it tooth and nail before they will grant it. I was fortunate depending on how you look at it and was grand 100% PT after my second heart attack and stents being placed. Think I would give back that portion if I could be doing all the things I did before!

I can not do many of the things I loved to do just 5 years ago and keep nitro with me all the time and fighting the depression along the way of course. I actually could work or should I say if I wanted to. But I feel that I am extending my life by not working. I can not lift anything over 35 times and for a macho man like me that hurts but oh well.

I was reading the other day a annual report from the VA on all the vets that receive comp and there are something like 2/3 million . yet there are only less than 16,000 on 100% I found that amazing and holds true to my point they do not award this as token. But to those that prove they truly are in need for help.

Wasn't going to post back on this subject because it sounded from your reply post above you really did not want an answer that you did not want to hear!

Anyhow good luck to you, you may win .

Stillhere

Thank you Stillhere. I just read your comment. I do want to hear what everyone here has to say. I am just frustrated. I spend most of my days in a doctor's office for one infection after another. Just getting over another one. I am gathering evidence, and putting everything I have together. I have a lot of free time. My VA oncologist stated she could not by law write me a letter concerning all my B symptoms. She agreed that NHL is non cureable, but would not write put it in writing. I am not sure if this is true or not???? I have another oncologist (Methodist Hospital in Houston) that I have contacted to do a work-up on me. We will see what happens?

personally I have seen on Hadit and other veteran sites that as long as it is not active then there is not a rating.

I would suggest you go to VA.gov website and look up decisions on the BVA court rulings and find one that is just like yours and see how that vet got awarded. I have used this many times in the past and really helps alot.

Good luck Stillhere

This link will take you to a case that sounds very familiar to yours as far as the NHL goes.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files2/1317347.txt

Edited by stillhere