Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unemployability With 70% Overall Rating

Rate this question

wallyzero

Question

All this stuff confuses the heck out of me. I have a combined rating of 70%, my highest individual one being anxiety at 30%. I received this rating in fall 2009 and have been talking to MHC on a weekly then monthly basis; and trying different meds ever since. I held one job for 7 months since my ETS in 2009. After that I've had one job interview, the employer kept making remarks about how I acted and asked if I was ok. Since then I find every excuse in the world to not leave my house. I was considering filing for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability, but unless I'm mistaken I have to have at least one disability rated at 40% correct? In short, do I need to raise my rating first? Thank you for any information.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the information everyone. I got my award in the fall of 2010 maybe...the years kinda run together lol. I'm hoping FDC will work for me as I live 87 miles from the office, and the one time I went to inquire about a increase in 2012, it wasn't a welcoming situation.

• HadIt.com Elder

You might consider getting an IME/IMO on the anxiety to get it up to 50%. You want to show that your condition is getting worse to save time and trouble getting TDIU.

Man I'm so happy to find this website!! Haven't closed the computer for days. I'm in the process of filing out a FDC and this is what it shows I'm currently award:

tinnitus 10% SC

tendonitis, left wrist (residual of GSW) 10% SC

headaches 30% SC

adjustment disorder with mixed emotional features 30% SC

multiple myelomas 30% SC

Effective date for all is 03JUN2009. I guess I file a claim for each individual one I want considered for increase evaluation? For unemployability, that is a seperate ordeal altogether correct? Thanks again, everyone here awesome.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was granted 70% for a single disability back in 2002 and I was denied TDIU. The VA knows once they grant you TDIU you will probably never work again and will one day get P&T. There is a cost to this and they like to avoid it if they can. I used an IMO to get my TDIU plus I applied and obtained SSDI. If you can't work apply for SSDI.

John

The VA is now looking at each application on its own merit. If you only have a 30% disability and you have a doctors opinion that you are not able to work due to that disability, they will review and make a decision.

this was in a recent fast letter, don't remember the date, but it was recently.

if you have a doctors opinion, I would submit for TDIU and submit the VA FM 21-8940 with a VA FM 21-526ez making this a fully developed claim. I've been using the FDC on every claim I file for veterans and it has been working rather well, including the dependency submissions.

Edited by meghp0405

The VA is now looking at each application on its own merit. If you only have a 30% disability and you have a doctors opinion that you are not able to work due to that disability, they will review and make a decision.

this was in a recent fast letter, don't remember the date, but it was recently.

if you have a doctors opinion, I would submit for TDIU and submit the VA FM 21-8940 with a VA FM 21-526ez making this a fully developed claim. I've been using the FDC on every claim I file for veterans and it has been working rather well, including the dependency submissions.

I finally figured out that I could use the FDC to request a increase. Just received my letter today and only changes were:

Chronic lumbosacral strain increased from 0% to 10%

Adjustment disorder with mixed emotional features was changed to PTSD; award stayed at 30%

GAF score: 60

Everything else remains the same as before, awards and work status. (December 29th 2011 last day worked)

I have not been to any doctor other than the VA since 2009 and it was just a check up so I don't have any IMO to help with SSDI or TDIU. Is that what I should look into?