VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependant Claim Taken

Rate this question

indyman

Question

I was on ebenefits this morning and looked at any letters I might have. Sure enough, my monthly amount was dropped by 352.00 because my twins have graduated high school, on June 7th. I sent in all the forms and papers telling the VA my twins are enrolled in college, starting in August 2013.

The continuation of compensation for dependants has a completion date of 3-14-14 but has not moved one bit for the past 90 days when I filed the forms. It and my IU claim are quite dormant.

I read on this web recently you can file a dependant claim on ebenefits, even though you filed the long forms by mail. And of course RRR.

Will this mess up the paperwork version and/or effect my IU claim, which is past due since 5/27/13 completion date?

Will this way speed up my dependent claim? Or just wait as usual? Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I read somplace that if the paperwork is filed the VA by regulation should continue paying until they find out otherwise.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I was on ebenefits this morning and looked at any letters I might have.

Will this way speed up my dependent claim? Or just wait as usual? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes - I think - just wait, no telling which way or what rhyme or reason

will be applied. This might depend on whether it's handled by a seasoned

employee or a newbie employee and/or who inputs what.

Just keep on going with life - and wait for the answer is my only suggestion.

Nothing will speed it up.

JMHO

P.R. Negative. If your kids are attending a college or trade school and between 18 to 23, you continue to receive the dependant allowance. In my case its 176 per child. After 23, its considered graduate school (which will effect one of my kids on her goal of being a forensic pathogist) then it starts getting tricky. But like I said in an earliar post, they will be sophomores if this drags out until 2014. And one is thinking of the Army. After explaining all the hassles, she may reconsider. This VA claim stuff is certainly an excellent recruiting incentive isn't it.

you continue to receive this benefit if you are supporting your kids. I assisted a veteran where the VA conducted an audit on this benefit. The VA wanted documentation that he was supporting his dependents. Lucky for him, anytime he gave his daughter money, he did it with a check.

I said this before, but the VA is doing dependent claims as additional duties. The longest application I have seen taken was last week. A veteran brought his paperwork in and it took the VA 32 months to decide his application.

As for e-benefits, this site is rarely up to date..

when has common logic ever prevailed? And to boot, if you have a military couple and they are both receiving 30% in compensation or above, they both can file and receive the same dependency benefits. Where is the logic there?

Edited by meghp0405