Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Had My C&p

Rate this question

show7299

Question

Hey everyone. So I just had my exam for PTSD. I am currently rated at 30% for anxiety disorder with alchohol abuse with elements of PTSD. I was rated this back in 2009 and since my symptoms have worsened. My doctor told me a long time ago to file an appeal because he diagnosed me with PTSD the first time I met him. Anyways years later and things worse I finally filed. I should mention I do have a CIB and BSM. I was kind of shocked at my appointment. First i didnt sleep for days leading up to it thinking about everything I was going to have to talk about. Then I got there and he didnt really have me talk about Iraq at all. It was weird. Anyways my doc looked at my exam in the computer (hes a nice guy) and he said based on what he sees I should be rated at 70 but could be 50. It was a PTSD diagnoses with severe depression and anxiety. I was given a GAF of 50 which im never above 48 according to my doctor. He checked the box that would indicate 70% just the one below 100% where it gives the description. What do you think I should expect. The GAF at 50 kinda scares me. Thanks

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey everyone. So I just had my exam for PTSD. I am currently rated at 30% for anxiety disorder with alchohol abuse with elements of PTSD. I was rated this back in 2009 and since my symptoms have worsened. My doctor told me a long time ago to file an appeal because he diagnosed me with PTSD the first time I met him. Anyways years later and things worse I finally filed. I should mention I do have a CIB and BSM. I was kind of shocked at my appointment. First i didnt sleep for days leading up to it thinking about everything I was going to have to talk about. Then I got there and he didnt really have me talk about Iraq at all. It was weird. Anyways my doc looked at my exam in the computer (hes a nice guy) and he said based on what he sees I should be rated at 70 but could be 50. It was a PTSD diagnoses with severe depression and anxiety. I was given a GAF of 50 which im never above 48 according to my doctor. He checked the box that would indicate 70% just the one below 100% where it gives the description. What do you think I should expect. The GAF at 50 kinda scares me. Thanks

Don't put a whole lot into your GAF score as it can change dramatically -

sometimes hour by hour, day by day, week by week, etc . . .

The doc can mark any box they want but only the VA decision maker has the authority

to grant SC or an evaluation.

Time to sit back and wait a bit more rather than speculate.

Hopefully you will know within a couple of months.

• HadIt.com Elder

the doc can "say" any percentage they want, but bottom line they don't have a LOT of say, a bad C&P can and will hurt you but from what you posted there is not enough to make a SWAG so I will guess a WAG 50% rating and depending on your treatment notes and work history and home life you may get 70%

SWAG = scientific wild azz guess

WAG = Wild azz guess

• HadIt.com Elder

The big factor for emotional disability claims is "Are you working". This is usually the difference between 30-50 percent and 70-100 percent. Back in the day the shrinks at VA C&P exams would ask me 2 questions: Are your working and are you seeing things? If I said "yes" to working it did not matte what else I said.