Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mayb Related

Rate this question

Kadyrmacias

Question

Ok, I have social security benefits, and I'm 90% at the va, now I have voc rehab but I'm taking a brake because I told the lady at voc rehab I don't feel comfortable attending school anymore. Now my time to go back to school is in about 2 months. My questions is if I already have social security benefits, should I ask the VA or voc rehab to reevaluate me to get IU or independent services? And how do I ask, some that lady seems like she wants to get me through school instead of giving me more info, she puts a face that bothers me every time she answers my questions. I haven't ask her about iu because I believe she's gonna try to convince me to go to school instead of iu. Any thoughts or help on how to approach this people.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

If you feel you SC'd conditions prevent you from working

talk with your docs about it to see if they will write a letter

and support their findings with full medical rationale.

Only conditions that are SC'd will count towards VA / IU.

JMHO

How do you have Voc Rehab and SSDI? They will cut you off of the SSDI if I am not mistaken because by going to college SSDI will say that you can work. Its not like the VA where you can use it has "rehab or therapy". I could be wrong about this.

Call me dumb but I don't know the difference between ssd and ssi, but I have ssd due to behavioral symptoms, now I called the SS administration and that time the lady said I should be fine doing voc rehab, however in gonna call again sometime this week and confirm that again. Now I'm gonna have an appointment with voc rehab they know I have ssd, and on this Appoinment I will ask for an evaluatin to see if I can get on the ILP program and for IU, the only problem I have is telling them, I feel bad, but my situation changed. But will see the worst thing they can say is NO.

SSI (Supplemental Security Insurance) basically is for low income disabled individuals who need financial assistance. SSDI/SSD (Social Security Disability Insurance) basically is for disabled individuals who have paid in the system and is based on how much you paid in. If you are 50% or above your income is too high for SSI and you will not qualify for it but SSD/SSDI is based on what you paid in the social security system. Both VA and Social Security have rehab therapy but not sure how SSD and VA Voc rehab may work. You can ask your Voc Rehab counselor for a feasibility statement in reference to your ability to gain and maintain employment. Keep in mind that it is the Voc Rehab counselor’s job to try to get you to a point to where you can go back to work.