VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Pension Vs Ssdi

john999

• HadIt.com Elder

If a married vet's only income is SSDI can that vet also get the NSC pension from the VA. This friend of a friend is a Vietnam Era vet who did not serve in Nam, but has Parkinson's. He is trying to prove he was exposed to AO but I know that is a long shot. He was on Okinawa.

John

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

They key is NSC Pension. It's income that is counted for the determination of SSDI.

In otherwords it's usually SSDI or the NSC pension, whichever might be greater.

On the other hand, if the veteran was receiving SC'd compensation, it is not counted against SSDI.

So, a SC'd veteran could receive both.

Remember that the SSDI amount is based on the full retirement amount at 65, even if the applicant applies at an earlier age.

• HadIt.com Elder

How in the world is an adult supposed to survive on SSDI. I couldn't do it. The vet in question is on SSDI and his wife had to quit her job to take care of him. She is not old enough to get SSA. They are both living on his SSDI.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

John look on the bright side SSD is usually more money than either the VA Pension or SSI which a friend of my wife's gets that is 661 a month she manages to exist on that amount only because she has a paid off piece of land and a single wide. I couldn't imagine living on that little bit of money

• HadIt.com Elder

John - A wartime vet(meaning served during a period of wartime) is considered completely disabled at age 65 and eligible for NSC pension of a little over $1250 monthly, for a single vet. If he receives SS, it will be deducted from the roughly $1250 a month. If his SS is more than $1250 monthly, he won't receive NSC pension. If he is married, has medical expenses, and assets there are other rates and adjustments made in figuring out his rate. NSC pension is like welfare for veterans, that we earned. Here's a link to explain further.

pr

http://www.benefits.va.gov/PENSIONANDFIDUCIARY/pension/vetpen.asp

Philip is correct as usual. I have an almost life long friend who chose get SS at 62 @ $662 month. He is now 70. He and his sister took a reverse mortgage on their mother's home (in estate). My friend gets to live in the house and the sister got the $. I really had no idea about a NSC pension until I read about it here on hadit. I checked his service dates and sure enough he qualified (VN) for a VA NSC pension. The VA NSC amount is difference between the annual max VA NSC pension ($12,465) and all other household income after subtracting any unreimbursed medical expenses including health insurance premiums. There is also a net worth limit. I believe my friend gets about $1250 plus change a month from all sources including SS and VA NSC pension, so the VA NSC pension about doubled his meager SS income.

And note this, from time of application to money in the bank was less than 3 WEEKS! I couldn't believe it, but that's the way it happened. He gets along, but there is very little left over for any nonessentials. There are many old farts (like me) who are veterans eligible, but unaware, of this benefit. At last count, 7 of his friends and neighbors applied, and were approved, for a VA NSC based on my friend's experience and information.

I agree that it would be damned difficult to live with dignity on $1250, but it might be the difference between eating or not--having a roof over your head or not! It is my understanding (according to what the VA told my friend) that if two equally qualified veterans live in the same place as roommates, they won't receive two full VA NSC pensions, but I have not been able to confirm this situation.