Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champa

Rate this question

OLDDUDE63

Question

I just got 100% P$T compensation rating. That means my wife can get Champa insurance. She is disabled and on Medicare. She already has an Athem Medicare Advandage plan that cost her nothing a month. It has a small co-pay to see the doctors and a co-pay for hospital and etc. I hear that Champa pays 80% on her drugs. Her plan will pay about as much on her drugs that Champa will. When she hits the gap , she would save about $150 per month on Champa , but when she hits the next level after the gap(and she will for about 4 months) , she would still be paying 20% for her drugs on Champa. On her Anthem, she would only be paying about 5% for her drugs for the same four months. Am I missing something about Champa , or would it be better for her to stay on Anthem ?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• In Memoriam

You can go to the Hadit/SVR radio page and listen to Glenn Johnson, a ChampVA administrator, explain the process. He discussed this in our Hadit program last April. Glenn, is a great guy. Glenn left his phone number in the program. Glenn and his associates are very helpful people and they are willing to answer questions from the top level.

I know there is a process that involves things to do and things not to do.

Just click on the program and give it a listen.

The ChampVA program is here:

http://svr-radio.com/archives.html

Old Dude,

My mother is currently on Medicare and Champva. She receives all of her meds through Champva "Meds by Mail" and does not pay anything out of pocket. With the exception of a $50.00 annual deductible, my mother also has no out of pocket expense for her other medical expenses. Medicare and Champva combined pays 100%.

My wife enrolled in Champva in December 2012, retroactive to October 2011. My wife is only 62 so she is not yet eligible for Medicare. However, she is covered under my federal Blue Cross Blue Shield plan I receive from federal retirement. Between Champva and Blue Cross, they pay 100% of her medical expenses with the exception a small co-pay for prescriptions. Since she has Blue Cross insurance, she is not eligible for Champva "Meds by Mail."

You can google "Champva Handbook" and download the handbook which can answer just about any questions regarding Champva. The handbook also provides phone numbers you can call to get answers to specific questions.

Georgiapapa...