VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused - Need Help

Rate this question

Question

Afternoon. I am currently at 90% - 50% for PTSD. Because of rage/depression/paranoia/panic attacks, I have been required to work from home for over a year (workers don't want to deal with me).

My symptoms have gotten worse over the years and my doctor is ready to fill out the DBQ for mental disorders so that I can apply for an increase for my PTSD.

Because of the above, and because of other ailments, I am getting ready to file for a disability retirement (I am a federal worker).

My question is: I already know I will get denied because one of the questions is - Are you currently working? which is yes. I will have to work until my disability retirement is approved.

It is a catch 22 situation. I cannot apply for a disability retirement without showing proof that I have also filed for SSD; however, you can't get approved for SSD if you are working.

WTF?

Do I go ahead and file for a disability retirement, even though I will get automatically denied by SSA? Or do I take an early retirement, with a penalty?

SO confusing.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do I file for early retirement?

That's a decision that you have to carefully make.

SSDI is all or nothing.

You can apply for early SSA and other retirement if you have met the age conditions.

I did apply for SSA at 62, and SSDI at the same time. When the papers came through granting SSA early, I also appled for

VA disability, since the SSA papers applying for SSDI showed conditions that were either service connected, or connectable.

• HadIt.com Elder

You go ahead and file. The first denial comes from the state DDS or disability determination service.

Then you file a request for reconsideration. By that time you likely wont be working and upon the second denial, grab a good attorney and go see the ALJ.

Then it will get posted you arent working. It may play with your effective date some but that is how you do it. It can be a 2 year process.

Basser