VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trazodone Tolerance?

Rate this topic

I found major relief learning yoga-like relaxing techniques with the mind..I'm sure they have a name for it and it works...no drug needed..very powerful this mind thing. I found I am going to sleep in a very nice way and usually staying peaceful.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trazodone does not help me sleep. I tried it and I didnt get any relief from it. I use Zolpidem(Ambien) and Temazepam. I alternate by using one for 4 day and the other 3 days. Zolpidem is the best in my opinion. I was on 20 mg at one time, which is way too much. I have been trying quetiapine and I dont like it much. I am groggy the next day and have a hard time getting out of bed. You just have to try different meds. Some work better for different people. We are made up differently even tho we are the same too. I have used hydrocodone to sleep too. Tolerance is a big issue with all these meds. It is a good idea to alternate the meds so you dont develop a tolerance for them. I hope you find some relief. I know sleep is a major issue in having a good life!

• HadIt.com Elder

The thing is with all sleep aides is that they really only work for a few weeks and then you build up tolerance. Ambien is the worst in my opinion. If you take it for more than a couple of weeks and then stop you will probably have "rebound insomnia" which is hell. Ambien also has some weird side effects amnesia being a biggy. I had amnesia from taking it. I lost about half a day once.

I have been told very often that exposure to early morning sunlight is best, but after horrible and restless night who wants to sit outside and look at sunlight. The things that are good for us are often simple but they can be so hard to do. I think the few drugs you take the better. This comes from someone who takes lots of drugs. I have pain and I can't sleep well at night. Exercise of the right kind and sunlight would help.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had a problem with Trazodone only working for a week or so, then having to increase the dosage to get it to work? After a couple weeks I start reverting back to my anti-slumber ways, and it is so disappointing. I finally get some relief for my wakefulness, late-night house prowling and nightmares, then it slowly goes back to the mental and physical torture of no quality of sleep.

If you have had this problem, how did you deal with it?

My trazadone problem was similar, yet slightly different. I was prescribed trazadone for sleep at the same time I was prescribed zoloft for depression and OCD. The 25mg dose of trazadone didn't do much for me, so my doc said to try 50mg. At the same time, I told her the zoloft wasn't working out, because of side effects, so I was prescribed paxil.

On the paxil, I didn't need the trazadone for sleep. I couldn't stay awake as it was. I slept in some instances for almost 24 hours straight. When other, more problematic side effects started due to the paxil, I weaned myself off of it. Surprise suprise, I couldn't sleep again. So, being that 25mg and 50 mg of trazadone didn't help much before, and since the doc said to just increase the dose, I took 100mg to try and sleep.

I then got every bad side effect you'd imagine all at once. I still couldn't sleep, but now my heart was pounding, my head felt....odd...and I felt my nasal passages close up over a 5 minute period...I also felt my mouth go bone dry. All that mixed with the lovely withdrawl symptoms from the paxil and I did not have a good day.

After relaying all this to my doc, she made a brilliant suppostion -- "You might be sensitive to medication." You don't say.

• 3 weeks later...