• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Ptsd. Received Was Less Than Not Likely

Rate this question

blackcloud

Question

Howdy

I had my C&P on 8-20-2013.

Went to Release of Information today(8-21-2013) and saw the entry "Condition was less likely than not (Less than 50%) incurred in or caused in service. "

My guess is that it will be denied (Am I wrong?).

Background as follows on me

Childhood abuse

Childhood Molestation

Abusive step-dad

Alcoholic mother

Did good in school
Graduated High School as expected

Never had any "run ins with the law"

Joined Navy in 90

Graduated Data Systems school

Given Top Secret Clearance after passing background, health and mental check.

Traumatic event was non-combat in late 92

Shipboard fire

While combating the fire I ended up in the blaze and saw my face-mask; for my respirator; begin to melt closing in on my face. Felt extreme horror that this was the end. Next thing I knew I was being stripped and doused with water, taken to triage in the hanger bay. Was told by unknown medic I was ok.

I was having sleep issues sometime later.

Spoke to my Operations officer about it. He said I could suck it up and move on and keep my clearance and job or seek help and lose clearance and rate (MOS).

I just sucked it down no follow up medically speaking was done.

Was honorably discharged.

Had traumatic event when I was working as a corrections officer in 2004.

Was nearly choked to death during an escape attempt.

I sought help with VA about issues I was having concerning having someone touch near or around my throat area (like hugging).

Managed to get to a point where I felt ok.

Then in 2012 my mother (whom I was fighting with) died in a fire.

When I got to the scene they (the fire department) had just wrapped up and left.

That posed to be too much for me to keep everything down.

I started having flash backs to the fire that nearly claimed my life.

Things went downhill from there.

Nightmares, confrontations with strangers, fights with wife, depression, drinking.

Suicidal thoughts, Being backer acted while in treatment with VA.

DX with PTSD from VA

GAF avg 55

Been in treatment over a year.

From What I have read here I meet the criteria and burden of evidence.

• A Current Disability. There must be a current disability, one that has been diagnosed by a medical professional; DX PTSD from VA
  • An Event In Service. There must be evidence in the military service records of the occurrence or aggravation of a disease, injury, or event in service; and, Shipboard fire
  • Medical Nexus Evidence. There must be a nexus, or link, between the current disability and the in-service disease, injury or event; i.e., the veteran must present medical evidence that the current disability and the in-service disease, injury or event are related. My mothers Death broke the denial I had suppressed from the event in the military.

My question is should I wait for the decision (expected around 04-2014 or 10-2014 according to the ebeneits site) and NOD

OR

Should I upload what I have stated here, on the eBenefits site as information to be considered that appears to have been overlooked in C&P (no mention of my moms death and the relation of how this exasperated my condition)?

I will wait for other to chime in, and will answer any questions as fast as I can.

Thanks to all.

You may have a good argument in the form of the fact that you were already quite emotionally stressed when entering millitary service and the fire started pushing you over the edge. everyones breaking point is different.

@ John999: Copy that :) I have been trying to make them understand I would never had received a Top Secret Clearance (later upgraded to SCI) if I had any mental issues that were even perceived by those who know me prior to joining the military. I created an hell of an uphill battle by being honest.

@ 63Sierra: That is what I was thinking might be a good line of argument. Capitulate that, OK, maybe I had some issues that even I was not truly aware of but that the fire set things in motion to exasperate an already preexisting condition.

I REALLY appreciate all the support that I have got from the Hadit members. At times it seems to be the only persons I can relate too... Thanks all for being there to help me.

Background as follows on me

Childhood abuse

Childhood Molestation

Abusive step-dad

Alcoholic mother

Did good in school
Graduated High School as expected

Never had any "run ins with the law"

Joined Navy in 90

Graduated Data Systems school

Given Top Secret Clearance after passing background, health and mental check.

Traumatic event was non-combat in late 92

Shipboard fire

While combating the fire I ended up in the blaze and saw my face-mask; for my respirator; begin to melt closing in on my face. Felt extreme horror that this was the end. Next thing I knew I was being stripped and doused with water, taken to triage in the hanger bay. Was told by unknown medic I was ok.

I was having sleep issues sometime later.

Spoke to my Operations officer about it. He said I could suck it up and move on and keep my clearance and job or seek help and lose clearance and rate (MOS).

I just sucked it down no follow up medically speaking was done.

Was honorably discharged.

Had traumatic event when I was working as a corrections officer in 2004.

Was nearly choked to death during an escape attempt.

I sought help with VA about issues I was having concerning having someone touch near or around my throat area (like hugging).

Managed to get to a point where I felt ok.

Then in 2012 my mother (whom I was fighting with) died in a fire.

When I got to the scene they (the fire department) had just wrapped up and left.

That posed to be too much for me to keep everything down.

I started having flash backs to the fire that nearly claimed my life.

Things went downhill from there.

Nightmares, confrontations with strangers, fights with wife, depression, drinking.

Suicidal thoughts, Being backer acted while in treatment with VA.

DX with PTSD from VA

GAF avg 55

Been in treatment over a year.

Hmmm -- lots of abuse in childhood. Nothing triggered in military training. Functioned fine. And then there was a FIRE. Traumatized - but sucked it up. Kept on keepin' on.... Worked in corrections after military. Was even choked almost to death. But being choked didn't seem to trigger childhood abuse, and didn't seem to affect your ability to function well in life. Kept on keepin' on from the 2004 choking incident until 2012. And then there was a FIRE. And Bam... your life fell apart.

Hmmm --- seems like you have an issue with fire....

So though you might have other traumatic events in your life -- maybe they could focus on the fact that you kept on keepin' on until there was a fire. That would sure seem like a trigger to me.

Edited by free_spirit_etc
Think Outside the Box!

@ free_spirit_etc

Thanks for the input. That is what I have been trying to tell them. Even in my C&P I told her that I was normal up to the fire. After that moment I was changed.. guess she was so hung up on the textbook and not really doing a diagnosis consistent with the evidence. I am working on securing funds for an IMO. Do you (or anyone else) have any pointers on the type of psychiatrist to get.. one that specializes in PTSD or Childhood trauma (to debunk reason for denial)..

Thanks!

Update...

Well I turned my claims over to the suits. That was nearly a year ago. I have been getting updates off and on indicating they are working the case (confidence is high). I know these things can take time. I am having a hard time finding persons with whom I have worked with for buddy letters. Facebook and other such sites have not panned out for me. But I will continue to work on it. just wanted to again say thanks to all those who helped me.

stay strong yall and when dealing with the VA; check six often...

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Blackcloud,

I read your original post and the fire on the ship. It made me feel like I was there right next to you. Not to get sidetracked from your topic, but it sounds like it could make a pretty movie plot or short story if published. The History Channel or America's Heroes Channel might be interested.

One place that I have found some former fellow soldiers was on a site "together we served". It's free to sign up, but they charge a minimal fee to actually talk to anyone. Might be worth it to just sign up there and see if you recognize anyone. Facebook is another one, but you said it did not pan out. Also, see if you kept any old copies of orders. Sometimes they may assign multiple people to a unit, but include their info on a single copy of orders. Not sure if you will have any luck there either, but it is worth a shot.

Good luck! I hope you win!

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.