Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowances

Rate this question

babyray

Question

I put in clothing allowances for a knee brace & a back brace prescribed by my pcp. I only got it for my knee, do I get one for my back also?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have iron/metal braces for my knee & back prescribed by my pcp doc

you need to contact the prosthetic department at your VA hospital and ask why you received one and not the other. they are the individuals who have the complete say so on you receiving or not receiving a clothing allowance.

I have iron/metal braces for my knee & back prescribed by my pcp doc

they are getting very strict on the back braces they even want you to get a new one that wont wear clothes from prosthetic

but if you can show how it damage your clothing it will get approved .I am going through the same thing I was paid last year

but not this year or not yet anyway.

I not only showed that these so call off the shelf braces causes wear and tear but the braces themselves will wear out and become seedy and thin out to the metal. Otherwise, why would they tell you to change them out every year. I contacted one of the distributors of the brace I got and they told me that they cannot guarantee that it will not cause wear and tear of clothing. I have that email from and is ready to submit it as soon as I am denied in an appeal. Any and everyone knows that when you have two things rubbing against each other it will cause friction and from friction you get wear. Those bulky braces pushing against our clothing will cause wear and tear. Anyone who is denied should appeal.

I have been calling the prosthetics department for two days to no avail. The phone just goes through a cycle telling you to enter the extension and press the pound button over and over again. I guess they don't want anyone calling them inquiring about their clothing allowance.