Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For Guidance And Info On C&p

Rate this question

usdart

Question

New on the Forum..Hello Brothers and Sisters!

I am currently at 10% since 1977 for Chronic Sinusitis. In March I was asked by friends to see the VA about PTSD by my friends and family.

I went to a Vet Center for advice and He immediately filed FDC Claims for Tenitus, Hearing loss and PTSD as well as an increase for my original claim.

I went to the VA Clinic and was diagnosed for PTSD at that time as well as Alcholism. After a couple of meetings with the therapist she told me why I had nightmares and violent reactions. All related to my Viet Nam service in 69-70 while in the Artillary.

My case on Ebenefits is at the Review of Evidence stage now.

Questions;

Since the diagnosis came from the VA will I still have a C&P.

My VA Rep told me that my DD214 showing Viet Nam Service in an Artillary unit is evidence enough, is that possible?

My DD214 also states that I was in Operation 'Rock Crusher' chasing the Viet Cong into Cambodia. Is that Combat Evidence enough?

I have had over 50 jobs since I got out in 1975, will they know that?

I also have a history of Headaches going back 30 years as shown in my VA history, will that add evidence? Will they find and look at all that previous VA medical stuff? I found it on Ebenefits going back to about 1985.

I am just going crazy worrying and not knowing if I need to do more or if I have submitted enough to at least get started.

Thank you for being here!,

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

New on the Forum..Hello Brothers and Sisters!

I am currently at 10% since 1977 for Chronic Sinusitis. In March I was asked by friends to see the VA about PTSD by my friends and family.

I went to a Vet Center for advice and He immediately filed FDC Claims for Tenitus, Hearing loss and PTSD as well as an increase for my original claim.

I went to the VA Clinic and was diagnosed for PTSD at that time as well as Alcholism. After a couple of meetings with the therapist she told me why I had nightmares and violent reactions. All related to my Viet Nam service in 69-70 while in the Artillary.

My case on Ebenefits is at the Review of Evidence stage now.

Questions;

Since the diagnosis came from the VA will I still have a C&P.

My VA Rep told me that my DD214 showing Viet Nam Service in an Artillary unit is evidence enough, is that possible?

My DD214 also states that I was in Operation 'Rock Crusher' chasing the Viet Cong into Cambodia. Is that Combat Evidence enough?

I have had over 50 jobs since I got out in 1975, will they know that?

I also have a history of Headaches going back 30 years as shown in my VA history, will that add evidence? Will they find and look at all that previous VA medical stuff? I found it on Ebenefits going back to about 1985.

I am just going crazy worrying and not knowing if I need to do more or if I have submitted enough to at least get started.

Thank you for being here!,

Everything sounds good so far, other's will chime in.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA will most likely schedule a C&P for PTSD, and hearing. The outcome will be based upon how it impacts you, your life, etc.. (There are technicalities that others can better describe.)

Once PTSD is judged as service connected, it's even possible that "substance abuse" can be considered as secondary.

Vietnam In country service (Feet on Ground) is one of two things needed for PTSD presumptive status. The other is "combat veteran status". Unit or personal awards such as a "Combat Action Ribbon" qualify. Other awards that show "under combat conditions" are acceptable as well.

Generally hearing problems are "low balled", or often even denied. "Gun Bunny's" have a better chance of getting hearing problems service connected than the rest of us.

Since I was in the Navy (Vietnam Blue & Brown Water), I was also a part time "gun bunny". We fired thousands of 5" shells, 40mm cannon rounds, and even 3" AA, HE, & GP rounds. Most of the ammunition was reconditioned WWII or Korean War vintage. We were even issued "C" rations at times that had late Korean War vintages. The VA would likely try to say that any significant hearing loss I might eventually have is a result of age, not service. Despite the fact that little or no hearing protection was available or used.

Edited by Chuck75

Thanks Chuck..I was in Artillary the year I was in Nam. Was in 105mm towed howitzer unit for 5 months and was reassignned to 155mm Self Propelled Howitzer due to unit being transferred to States. I did not have enough time in Country to rotate home. Both Units were in the 'Field' the whole time I was in Nam. Not a day went by without the guns firing support for Infantry and us recieving morter fire etc. Many nights on Gaurd at the wire and humping ammo for the gun bunnys cause we couldn't sleep when the fired anyway.

Too long winded, Sorry....

I still don't know if they will find all this or if my 214 showing the assignments is enough evidence.

Chuck gave you a superb rundown on all of this.

I think the VA will definitely concede your stressor ( a stressor is needed for PTSD) and this is why Chuck asked about the decorations and awards on your DD 214.

The CIB, or the CAB , or a PH are all indicative of stressors.

But I dont think you will have any problems at all with the PTSD claim.......

“My VA Rep told me that my DD214 showing Viet Nam Service in an Artillary unit is evidence enough, is that possible?” it should be! The new PTSD regs are here in our PTSD forum)

My DD214 also states that I was in Operation 'Rock Crusher' chasing the Viet Cong into Cambodia. Is that Combat Evidence enough? It should be as well.

BTW....have you ever applied for a DD 215? To make sure your DD 214 is correct?

Here is the form:

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf

Just put 'not applicable' to the 'injustice part'

They (DOD) are used to vets requesting that their DD 214 be corrected if it is wrong.

My husband sent in a DD 149.

A few months later he got a DD 215 with more awards then he knew of. He had heard his unit got the PUC when he came back to the 'world' in 1966 to Quantico (Ops Rolling Thunder/ First Wave 1stMARDIV 1965 USMC )and always thought it was just scuttlebutt but not true, but he was shocked to see that it was on his DD 215.

PUC Presidential Unit Citation.

He also got a few medals with the DD 215 with a note that the medals from the Vietnamese Gov would have to be purchased on a Base BX or a store that sells Mil stuff.

For about a few hours he was kind of proud of the DD 215. Then all Hell broke loose.

Every thing on the DD 215 involved.....well.....

by then he had 100% SC PTSD so I need not say more.

OPS Rock Crusher,....Parrot Beak.....?

would that be the incursions into Cambodia around the year 1970?

Thank you for your service!

“I also have a history of Headaches going back 30 years as shown in my VA history, will that add evidence?

Was that formally claimed too by the vet rep you have” I definitely believe you could connect those headaches to the SC sinus condition. But a doctor will need to state that.

Welcome aboard!

You are at the best place in town.

Edited by Berta