VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Morning Reports To Help Rvn Vet

Rate this question

carlie

Question

I need to be reminded where to get these reports.

My 2 tour RVN :

vet served from 22 Mar 1968 through Honorable Discharge 14 Mar 1971.

Decorations:

NDSM -- SPS M-14 -- SPS M-16 -- VCM -- VSM -- 2 O/S Bars

In Aug 1973 he was denied SC for "nervous condition" -- not shown by evidence of record. Drug addiction -- disability due to willful miscondust. HE IS CLEAN and HAS BEEN FOR MANY YEARS. I do know him well.

He has been VA diagnoised with PTSD but the doc only stated due to financial problems. HOW STUUUUUUUUUPID ! ! Thanks

Edited by carlie

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Rocky what I mean by DD 215- is the additional replacement a vet gets when they send in a DD 149 and the mil has to correct their 214-

In Rod's case, he got 4 awards or more-I forget on the DD 215 than he knew he got-It is a form much smaller than a DD 214.

The PUC-Presidential Unit Citation (which he heard they got when they returned to Quantico) he figured they didnt get because it wasn't on his DD214-

They were herded into a big hall and told to list their medals and decorations themselves on a form. Hell-they all wanted to book outta there. Many didnt put the right stuff down and many had no idea that, while they were in the boonies, they had gotten awards and/or decorations.

The write up for the PUC his unit got is on the net and quite detailed. More than anything else this award seemed to me as proof of his stressors- then again

the other stuff was proof of stressors too.

That's nothing- my daughter-USAF 7 years INTELL, helped a vet (a hadit member I think)get the Distinquished Flying Cross,(Spring 2005) as well as other citations and decorations for some of his men, by translating a Vietnamese Document he carried around for over 35 years.

She is a former USAF Vietnamese Linquist.

I still have chills over his letter-I just read it again- he was supposed to be formally presented the DFC by his Congressman but he thought of those who didnt come home and he couldn't handle the ceremony.

He sent a picture of the DFC and the write up .

Edited by Berta

I'm sorry Berta, you are right about the DD 215 and I do know what it is. I was meaning NAVMC 250 or 215 which is the Marine Corps Certificate of Discharge. It has been a long time and it is tuff to recall all the right types and numbered forms etc, such as DD, DA, AR, NAVMC, ALMAR, etc and then they all have numbers after them too!!!!

Yeah a lot of Marines that served in Vietnam are not aware they may be awarded the Combat Action Ribbon because it wasn't invented till the 70's and most of those Marines were already discharged or dead and have no idea they also rate the Vietnam Gallantry Cross w/palm and frame. Also a lot of NUCs (Navy Unit Citations), MUCs (Meritorious Unit Citation), and the PUCs were awarded a lot of times 2 years after the action took place. So a lot of Marines discharged in 69 or 70 aren't even aware they rate these possible four ribbons.

Yeah-I helped some vets here some years back get the Vietnamese Gallantry stuff-

they didnt know it should have been on their DD 214s-

And of course Marine- they have to BUY them because they were made in Foreign Gov-

I walked into a base BX with all of Rod's military paperwork and they never even checked it-when I bought his Vietnam medals posthumously-maybe that was because I was with my daughter-she was in uniform?

A wannabee could have walked out with a Purple Heart for 40 bucks.

No apology needed- the USMC controls much of my life. I apologise to you!

Edited by Berta

Berta,

I was aware you could by RIBBONS and devices such as stars, palms, oak leafs, etc to mount on them, but are you sure they sold the actual MEDALS. They never used to do that. The Marine Corps issued all medals one time that included the green and white Vietnam Campain Medal with ribbon that had the 1960- on it. It is entered in the Marines SRB. Also, the Marine Corps Supply Center in Albany Georgia stocks medals and issues a certain amount of Bronze Stars, Purple Hearts, and the other medals and ribbons to Marine Corps Recruiting Stations and Inspector-Instructor Staffs that train reserves and are located at Reserve Training Centers. They provide the casualty assistance and must have the medals on hand in case there is a death while on leave or honorable discharged veteran to put on their uniform for burial. A issue is shown in the supply records and Albany sends replacements of what was used.

There is no medal for the Vietnam Gallantry Cross w/palm and frame.......it is a unit or organizational award.

The Vietnam Gallantry Cross as a personal award is a medal along with a ribbon but with no frame on the ribbon or palm. It may have a large silver star device depending.

There are also no medals for the PUC, NUC, or PUC.

They have ribbons at the PX/BX of all of them including the MOH, SS, BS, PH, NC etc, but I never heard of the medal being sold there. Normally those medals are issued and if a replacement is needed a request must go to MCSC Albany Ga along with copy of DD-214 in order to obtain them.

Of course they can be bought locally at any pawn shop or internet, but if the wannabee wants to buy it and wear it he still knows he did not earn it, he can't fool himself!

You are Right Rocky- of course- the PUC etc----is a ribbon etc-

I recall walls full of ribbons for sale at Lackland BX but I am positive I saw medals there too--

I referred some vets here to US CAlvary.com for medals and ribbons and haven't checked this one out but there are places to buy this stuff on line:

http://www.usmilitarystuff.com/

http://www.usmilitarystuff.com/index.php?m...x&cPath=4_9

How about that Navy Cross ???? and the PH- $36.50