Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs Presumptive And Ao Presumptive

Rate this question

kevin4998

Question

I am a gulf war vet...

I have one documented visit to medical after the gulf war for IBS.

I was given over the counter meds at this visit.

got out of service in 97

every since that visit I have taken OC meds for this issue, since not much else can be done other than watching what I eat.

I have seen private docs for this issue getting out of service. Not very often but I do have paper work from docs stating so

I submitted this documentation along with a claim for IBS to the VA

I was denied

I thought IBS was a presumptive, so I did not even think that this would be an issue for being a denial.

I took my awards letter (I had other claims in that did go thru) to my VOF office that some how ended up as the go between (still trying to figure that out, how they became my coordinator.. as I originally went too a DAV's office to file my claim).

Anyway the officer their told me that IBS was NOT a presumptive.. not like Agent Orange.

I tried to explain that everything I have read stated that IBS was a presumptive. All he would say is that its not the same as Agent Orange.

This is got me really confused, because this guy is telling me basically that their is two different definitions of presumptive concerning IBS and Agent Orange.

Can some one please explain to me what the difference is?

I am not asking to know the differences between AO and IBS, obviously I know the difference of the two.. the wording or a link explaining the differences in "presumptive" is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Sincerely

Kevin

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Do you have a diagnosis of iBS? You still have to have a diagnosis. Even id it is a presumptive it has to be diagnosed. Without reading the full denial or any other information. That would be my first guess.

Edited by T8r

Can you post what the denial said? Maybe you would get more chime ins. We're missing the full picture and can't give a complete response. If ibs is documented on your problem list and service

In gulf is given then the answer is in the writeup

Edited by T8r

T8r is right... we need to see what the VA actually stated in the denial.

These are the Gulf War regs:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness.asp

These are in effect until December 2016 ( a date which I expect to be extended ) and apply to all PGW vets as well as OIF OEF incountry veterans.

Edited by Berta

Medical Description:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Denial Reason :

• We did not find a link between Irritable
Bowel Syndrome and military service.

• Your condition is not one of the chronic
diseases that VA presumes is related to
your military service.

The VA medical opinion found no link between your diagnosed medical condition and military
service. The examiner determined that the claimed condition was less likely than not (less than
50 percent probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event or illness.
The examiner explained that you had GI symptoms documented while in service, that was
diagnosed as GERD. One note questioned IBS. but also noted PUD/GERD. Further workup
which included upper endoscopy confirmed GERD, without Barrett's esophagus. While IBS was
diagnosed by symptoms in the community in 2003, workup to rule out other diagnoses had not
been completed (including stool specimens, colonoscopy (record indicates that while consult was
placed that you declined last year). The diagnosis of IBS is one of exclusion and therefore
additional testing must be done to rule out these other conditions. The examiner opined that it is
unlikely that your symptoms at the time of diagnosis were due to IBS. Furthermore there is a
significant gap in time between your service and the diagnosis made (six years).

I talked to one of the docs at Roudebush that does the Gulf War Registry. And, what he told me was to call the 800 number and request a review. Do not appeal as it will take 4 to 5 years.

I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy (at VA) on the 22nd of this month and will have those available (hopefully showing some evidence as to the damage that has been caused by my IBS as I have had it for so many years and it has been sever at times)

Not to mention they only gave me 10% for the Gerd while I have Barrets due to the Gerd. I believe that should be a higher percentage and with this endo, I may be able to ask for review with that as well and get a higher percentage.

Edited by kevin4998