Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Turning 18

Rate this question

WOLF14

Question

Hello,

I have a child turning 18 years old this December. Do I need to contact the VA to ensure I get an increase to the Compensation Benefits Rate for him and do I need to ensure they know that he is still a full time student?

Thank you,

V/r

WOLF

• HadIt.com Elder

Chief,

Just because your son is turning 18 will not give you an increase in your dependent award. When your son graduates high school and is enrolled and attending college/vocational school, then the benefit amount increases.

Or if your disability increase, the benefit amount will increase.

I would suggest having your son obtain a letter from the school (with the schools letterhead) where he is attending school. have them state "(childs name) is currently enrolled in ------high School with a projected graduation date of xx-xx-xxxx. Send this letter certified with a return receipt requested. This way you will have a copy of the letter and a receipt of VA receiving the documents.

I have had many veterans visit my office that have submitted documents over the e-benefits site only to become lost in cyber space.

Be proactive and do this as soon as possible. If the VA drops the child it takes on average 18 months to get back enrolled and payments re-started.

good luck and thank you for your service!

Things must have changed in the last 7 years.........when both my kids turned 18 while still in HS, the dependent benefit also increased until graduation.

Chief,

My daughter's benifit increased when she started college without a break in pay and we did the paperwork as soon a she could get her schedule from the college. However, when she first enrolled, it was for a two year nursing course, and because of a waiting list, she will be attending 3 1/2 years. So I did submit the paperwork 3 months in advance for the remaining 1 1/2 years and they (VA) did stop payment after the two year mark and I had to wait another 5 months for my "new claim" to be processed we got paid again, to include 5 months back pay.

Hamslice

Thanks All,

I think there is a way that I can get onto Ebenefits and submit the VA 21-674 but not sure. I will definately get the school to provide a letter showing he is still in High School and once he has his college schedule for next year I will be sure to submit that as well.

I went into the regional office and filled out some form there they sat me in a room and filled it out for me and I signed it.....Sorry not much help on the form number....But it only took me 15 mins and with-in 2 weeks got the award letter of the changes made...

The benefit change isn't much it's basically a Minor child to Adult schoolage child over 18 in my case was roughly 60 dollars...

Edited by BakerGeckos