VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Saga Continues

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

Ok aside from everything else im battling for, I came to a realization. back in 04 when I fell deathy ill with my service related hepc which at the time was rated at zero percent I was put into a 48 week treatment of chemotherapy that means some very powerful meds that can kill you, and have killed folks., They bring u to the edge of death, to kill the virus. I was very sick most of that year of treatment . incapacitating episodes where I could barely get off the sofa for days, vomiting, 20 lbs weight loss, weakness , tired, abdominal pain, sweating chills,near constant burning diareeha , nausea , depression, rage, ect. I refiled for an increase near the end of my treatment and the va granted comp at 40 percent/. I recently read the regulations, and at least while I was on the chemo, I should have been rated 60 to 100 percent .. ALSO, even if they lowballed me at 60, that would have made me eligible for temporary TDIU. So what I want to know is specifically what I have to do, to try and get my temporary rating of 60 to 100 percent for the year I was being treated.

do I reopen, file a new claim, file a cue claim, file a special claim, ect.

also while I was on the chemo, a side effect is depression, so I was on depression meds for abt a year, and still depressed.

I struggled to pay my bills, and could only do a few service calls a week, and I had to hire my buddy to drive me around because I didnt trust myself, and was scared to faint at the wheel/ I was one sick puppy, and had to work during the hellish treatment of chemo. thse dirty bastards could have told me I was eligible for that compensation. they knew how sick I was my liver enzyme count was over 6.3 million and the liver biopsy said stage 3.5 to 4 out of possible worse 5. liver disease.

Edited by 63SIERRA

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I know Berta has threads on here about having the VA CUE themselves. (which sometimes seems to be handled more quickly than a normal CUE claim).

And before you do that -- look through your records and see what you can come up with for when you would consider you finished treatment. I would think it would be more when the doctor released you with the "You are now considered okay..." seal of approval.

You could either ask for 100% for that time period - or just ask for 100% -- and see what they come up with -- and appeal for an earlier effective date if needed.

Also -- look through the records and see if there is any information in there that would have shown you were entitled to SMC as housebound or needing aid and attendance for a period of time. For a CUE, the information would have to be in the record at the time they made the decision (or within their constructive possession).

see thats the thing,. the doc told me for the first 2 years its very high risk for the cancer to break out and spread. after the first 2 years the odds go down alot for the cancer to resurface.

they operated on me on halloween day 2011 so how they came up with an effective date of july 2012 is beyond me.

I guess maybe the considered that the time you were to be rated on residuals?

If so -- that might mean your claim for the actual cancer is still pending??

see thats the thing,. the doc told me for the first 2 years its very high risk for the cancer to break out and spread. after the first 2 years the odds go down alot for the cancer to resurface.

I think that is pretty common for most cancer. I am not sure they would grant 100% for the period of time that you are at high risk for recurrence. In fact, I am 99.99999% sure that they wouldn't. Heck! They didn't even give you 100% when you HAD it!!!

But you should get 100% from the date it was detected (or in the very least from the time you filed the claim) until you were finished with what they would call treatment -- which I think should include some of the major recovery period.

they cannot say the cancer wasnt active because it was destroying my kidney and adrenal gland.