Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Medical Reimbursment Possible?

Rate this question

elcamino_77us

Question

I had tried for years to get my Left Knee Service Connected. Note: My Right knee was previously service connected. The Fall of 2010, I was consulted to VAMC Dublin from the local outpatient clinic for MRI's of the knees due to pain. After being prescribed hinged braces bilaterally for osteoarthritis in Jan 2011, I was consulted to VAMC Atlanta. After the Doctor played games with me, he finally agreed to scope "one" knee. I chose my service connected right knee as it usually gave me more problems. Aug 2012 Knee Scope. Documented Findings: two tears of the meniscus. Undocumented Findings: A healed partial tear of my ACL. I was discharged back to my local outpatient clinic after my Post-Op Appointment.

Jun 2013, I reported into the Local VA Outpatient Clinic on Crutches as I could not walk on my Left Knee. I was sent to the local hospital for X-Rays to determine whether or not I had arthritis. I was also scheduled for a follow-up appointment 45 days later, which I kept.

Instead of waiting another two years for the possibility of a knee scope, I used a local clinic that repaired a tear to my meniscus and determined that I had scar tissue due to a previous knee injury. This resulted in my Left Knee finally being service connected with a date of Aug 2012.

What I'm wondering is there a way to get the VA to help pay for my surgery considering that I had first went through them on two different occasions only to be blown off? That I had to seek Out-Side Medical Treatment due to their inadequacies and failure to properly treat me in the first place.

Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Definitely worth the effort to try

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.