Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions About Recent Claim Submission

Rate this question

c5marine

Question

Hello,

I served 4 years in the USMC and got out in 2008. This last week, I finally went to the VA to fill out and submit a submission. I went through our state agency to help fill out the paperwork correctly which was very helpful. However, I am concerned that my delay in submission and lack of documentation will hurt my case. I rarely went to the sick call/doctor as part of the culture of being a USMC Officer was not to go. A lot of the items I am claiming are not documented, but are medical concerns I had and continue to have. Upon getting out, I was so focused on next steps in life that I did not take the time to go through the process. Health issues are continuing to come up on me and I finally went down and applied. Below are the items I listed (without the added info).

How hard will it be to have the VA claim these? Should I start going back to the doctors I saw like 4-5 years ago to get my record (public doctor)? And what chance does one normally have with things like the anxiety where there is no documentation?

- Bilateral Hearing Loss (my record does show drop in hearing)

- Bilateral Tinnitus (no documentation)

- Mental Disorder - No documentation. I have suffered from anxiety ever since being in the USMC and have been extremely embarrassed to see treatment or admit it. When I spoke to the agency person about this, they recommended I put down "mental disorder" as the VA would best diagnose me.

- Broken Right Leg - I broke my leg prior to OCS and is documented in my record. I have tightness in the leg. Not sure what this gets?

- Psoriasis - No documentation, but have been receiving treatment for quite some time since getting out.

- Hypertension - No documentation, but current medical records show it

- High Cholesterol - Records don't show it as being high, but it is high now

- Anal Fissure - Another embarrassing one. Got it due to dehydration, but never reported it. Had it diagnosed once I got out.

- Sleep disorder - No documentation, but do not sleep well at night. Probably due to anxiety.

Thank you for the help. This is a great board and filled with tons of great info. I hope to be able to help someone myself once I go through and better understand the process!

Thanks again.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

did you spend time in a combat zone? have you ever talked to a comrade abt your issues, a gf while you were in, one of your NCO S that might write a buddy statement. Anyone that would claim you had issues speaking in public or to a large group of troops.

also get a copy of your in service medical records. you may have forgot some things that can help.

Did you go on sick call for anything while in training, at OCS, active duty, or a year after you got out.

compensation is for ONGOING medical conditions. so go get registered at the va and get an Id CARD. Start getting treatment for all of your issues. Ask to see a mental health doc. All referalls go thru your primary doc at the va med centers.

Most officer usually do at least 10 years, to retire, so maybe hinge the fact that you got out, is because you couldnt take the anxiety anymore. A rock and a hardspot. Couldnt look weak in front of command or troops, couldnt keep playing like nothing was wrong.

Welcome here.

You already realize that inservice documentation can provide a nexus ,meaning the link of a disability you have now, to your service.

Do you have your complete SMRs (Service Medical Records?) They might contain something you overlooked as to a nexus.

“Bilateral Hearing Loss (my record does show drop in hearing)” Did your MOS put you into acoustical trauma?

Hearing loss and all other disabilities are rated per the VA Schedule of Ratings here at hadit...It is always good to familiarize oneself with the rating schedule regarding anything you claim.

- “Bilateral Tinnitus (no documentation)” It is possible they would grant this based on your exposure to acoustical trauma by virtue of your MOS.

“Mental Disorder - No documentation. I have suffered from anxiety ever since being in the USMC and have been extremely embarrassed to see treatment or admit it. When I spoke to the agency person about this, they recommended I put down "mental disorder" as the VA would best diagnose me.”

• As an OEF veteran, were you incountry Iraq or Afganistan?

• I ask because PTSD is an anxiety disorder. Others will chime in on this.

• 'Broken Right Leg - I broke my leg prior to OCS and is documented in my record. I have tightness in the leg. Not sure what this gets?”

• That has an established inservice nexus and will be rated on residuals,if the VA determines you have a ratable residual.

- “Psoriasis - No documentation, but have been receiving treatment for quite some time since getting out.” A inservice nexus would be needed for that,

- “Hypertension - No documentation, but current medical records show it.” ditto

• “High Cholesterol - Records don't show it as being high, but it is high now”

• hig cholestrol is a symptom and not a ratable disability.

- “Anal Fissure - Another embarrassing one. Got it due to dehydration, but never reported it. Had it diagnosed once I got out.” nexus needed for that as well.

• “Sleep disorder - No documentation, but do not sleep well at night. Probably due to anxiety.”

• If the anxiety is granted , this could possibly be a secondary disability to that but that will need a medical opinion and full medical rationale.

However “sleep disorder” is a vague term... have you been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea?

Many vets have had sleep apnea service connected with buddy statements and documentation from their 201 personnel files.

As you read the posts here you will see how evidence can be developed to prove an inservice nexus.

The VA also wants to see continuity of disabling problems as well, because when a vet has been out of the Mil for some time, they often acquire disabilities that could be caused by post service reasons.

You might well want to obtain copies of those private treatment records you mentioned.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hello,

I served 4 years in the USMC and got out in 2008. This last week, I finally went to the VA to fill out and submit a submission. I went through our state agency to help fill out the paperwork correctly which was very helpful. However, I am concerned that my delay in submission and lack of documentation will hurt my case. I rarely went to the sick call/doctor as part of the culture of being a USMC Officer was not to go. A lot of the items I am claiming are not documented, but are medical concerns I had and continue to have. Upon getting out, I was so focused on next steps in life that I did not take the time to go through the process. Health issues are continuing to come up on me and I finally went down and applied. Below are the items I listed (without the added info).

How hard will it be to have the VA claim these? Should I start going back to the doctors I saw like 4-5 years ago to get my record (public doctor)? And what chance does one normally have with things like the anxiety where there is no documentation?

- Bilateral Hearing Loss (my record does show drop in hearing)

- Bilateral Tinnitus (no documentation)

- Mental Disorder - No documentation. I have suffered from anxiety ever since being in the USMC and have been extremely embarrassed to see treatment or admit it. When I spoke to the agency person about this, they recommended I put down "mental disorder" as the VA would best diagnose me.

- Broken Right Leg - I broke my leg prior to OCS and is documented in my record. I have tightness in the leg. Not sure what this gets?

- Psoriasis - No documentation, but have been receiving treatment for quite some time since getting out.

- Hypertension - No documentation, but current medical records show it

- High Cholesterol - Records don't show it as being high, but it is high now

- Anal Fissure - Another embarrassing one. Got it due to dehydration, but never reported it. Had it diagnosed once I got out.

- Sleep disorder - No documentation, but do not sleep well at night. Probably due to anxiety.

Thank you for the help. This is a great board and filled with tons of great info. I hope to be able to help someone myself once I go through and better understand the process!

Thanks again.

Welcome.

Request a copy of your files in writing.

Submit it to your VARO in person if you can.

Get copies of all private treatment.

Start building your evidence for all issues.

At this point if you can win anything or not would just be

speculation.

Check out 38 CFR - Parts 3 & 4 and start learning, don't just depend on

a rep that is "helping" you.

Part 3 - Adjudication

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=c9064639b34e03c1bb3cbe2552d8b00c&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title38/38cfr3_main_02.tpl

Part 4 - Schedule

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=c9064639b34e03c1bb3cbe2552d8b00c&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title38/38cfr4_main_02.tpl

Also, you can study BVA decisions to see why issues were granted, denied or remanded.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

Don't submit originals to the VARO - do submit copies and keep a file going for

yourself.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I believe that your veteran service officer has done more harm than good for your claim. If you submitted a claim with no medical documentation, no speculation is needed, your claim will be denied, I'll place the first 100 dollar bill on that one.

You need to take your DD FM 214 to the VA hospital, elgibility office. There, they will enroll you in the VA and assign you a doctor. I would obtain an appointment with that doc as soon as you can. You are going to need a consult to mental health, an x-ray on your leg, a consult to dermatology (if needed), a hearing test and a review of your lab results to determine if you do have HTN. Carlie and Berta gave you some great information..

I would just like to say that your going to need a NEXUS statement, tying these disabilities to your active duty service. Your job in the marines may/may not be enough for the grant of tinnitus. As for the hearing loss, it takes a great deal f loss to be compensated. Your loss needs to be 45 decibel or greater in the 500, 1000 and 2000 of your hearing exam. Did you have a physical upon your exit from the Marines? The VA will use that and its results to assist in the determination of your claim.

I would go to these docs, obtain the information you need so when your claim comes back and you have many (if not all) of your issues denied, you will have new and medical documentation to submit with your notice of disagreement....

Also, no reason to submit a claim issue for

"Bilateral Tinnitus".

It comps at 10 % max - bilateral does not count.

The claim issue should just be for SC & comp for Tinnitus.

The less you put out to get knocked down - the better.

jmho

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.