Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

36 Years To Go From 10% In 1977 To 100% Iu P&t In 2013

Rate this topic

GEEBEE711

Thanks,

I have done all the work on my case and at times more educated than my lawyer. I should have just filed on own, as you said, yet I was so overwhelmed when I first filed the claim, and I had hoped the lawyer would ease the pain.

Rule #1. Laywers are NOT there to help "Ease your pain". They're out to make money...PERIOD. That said, groups like the "DAV" & "VFW" don't have self serving interests and are there for only one reason, to really help the Veteran that needs help. Just remember, NOT all DAV's and VFW's are the same. There are very good ones out there, and unfortunitly, some pretty poor ones as well.

My local DAV fell in the later group...very poor! I seeked their help on my last and final claim for IU. It was a very bad experiance. The Officer was both rude and very condescending! All he would talk about was how bad his disabilities were and how he was turned down for IU. He also stated that his disabilies were far more wose than mine, and he told me that he didn't think I had much of a chance of being awared IU. He made me feel that I was wasting his time. He refused to help me phrase my answers correctly on the form. He would ONLY ask me the question that was on the form, and write down my answer. Heck, I could do that myself from home! And that's exactly what I did. I went home and read what he had put down as my answers, and there were many errors! Errors were bad enough (things I didn't say!), that I knew would be good cause for the VA to deny my claim!! It was almost like he tried to sabotage my claim on purpose. I think he was just so bitter after the VA denied his own IU clam, that he was taking it out on me.(If I can't get, you won't either!)

Anyway, I sat on my claim for 6 months wondering what I was going to do. Do I search for another DAV office outside of my area that may be of more help than what my local one was? The stress on this was nearly killing me! My claim should have been filed 6 months ago! Then one day when I woke up in the moring I said "Screw it! I'm going to fill out the IU form myself!" The VA has all of my medical records going back for years. I should have been much more confident than what I was feeling. There was NOTHING more I could possibly add to bolster my claim. I filled out the claim. Stuck it in the envelope that my local DAV had given me (thanks for the stamp DAV...that's the ONLY thing you did for me!)...then I mailed it! Less than seven months later I received my award letter from the VA...100%IU P&T!

The moral of this story is this. If you are going to seek help with your claim, make darn sure the help is qualified! If the person helping you does not give you that "Warm & Fuzzy" feeling....GO FIND SOMEONE WHO DOES!

Edited by GEEBEE711

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations! This is more proof that persistence pays off!

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

GeeBee, Great leg work as usual

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II