Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Medical Coverage For Service Connection

Rate this question

Roger Louis

Question

First my intent with this posting is to ask a question concerning medical or dental care so if I started the topic in the wrong place please tell me how to start in the correct place. Today I received a letter from the VA Regional Office that said they decided that I have a service connection of 0% for Temporomandibular Disorder (Claimed As bruxism) which is associated with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) . My rating remained at 40% where it was prior to this claim and the decision. Of course I will submit a Notice of Disagreement for the entire claim. However the goal of my claim was not to increase the percentage it was to attempt to gain dental care from the VA.

I am not sure that this decision provides for that care so if anyone has any suggestion I would welcome hearing them. This was a two part claim the first as mention was for Bruxism and the second was for Meniere's disease associated with sensorineural hearing loss. While I am rated at 0% for hearing loss and the VA has provided hearing aids the denied this portion of the claim stating the was not in my record to support the claim.

I did receive a C&P examination for Bruxism however a decision was made concerning the claim for Meniere's disease base on a review of my file apparently since I did not receive a C&P. Both issues show up in the Ebenefits report of the review by the examiner even though I did not receive a C&P examination for Meniere's. One point of interest is the during the examination and in the written report if was evident that the dentist did not think that Bruxism would result from PTSD. Apparently the Regional VA office thought otherwise to some degree.

I want to thank everyone for their service and support to this web site.

@Roger Louis  I recently received the award for IU which included my dental.

I visited an excellent VA dentist. He documented my TMJ - I never filed any claims.

The VA - ONLY  allow one exam per year if you are rated 100%.

If any additional work is needed, the wait is long.... but you can get in.

I asked for & received a new night guard to prevent the grinding. It was a value of $500-800, since they made a brace for daytime too. 

I opted for the Delta Dental, due to the low cost of the plan, $35 for me & I can get checked twice a year.

This is probably not the exact answer just.... jmo