Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File A Informal Claim Or Not?

Rate this question

iraqvet77

Question

I thinking if I should file a informal claim for Sleep Apnea, Left Shoulder, Hearing Loss, migraines to get a effective date this month or should I wait till I get my IME back from my doctor? He did a IME only and I couldn't afford to get the VA DBQ filled out by him but I do find someone that would charge me a reasonable price though. I don't know if waiting to get the DBQ filled out would be worth the wait or file informal claim?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would file the informal claim. This may make it impossible to file a FDC, however. You get an EED but maybe you have to wait 18 months to get it using ordinary claim procedure. I don't fully trust the FDC system, so unless you are starving I would preserve the EED. If you wait for the IME you might be able to file FDC and get there faster.

My VSO filed an informal claim prior to submitting an FDC for very similiar circumstances. It took about 4 or 5 weeks to get all the DBQs together. The FDC was processed as an FDC, except the rater missed the informal claim date and I lost a month - NOD in on that now.

I thinking if I should file a informal claim for Sleep Apnea, Left Shoulder, Hearing Loss, migraines to get a effective date this month or should I wait till I get my IME back from my doctor? He did a IME only and I couldn't afford to get the VA DBQ filled out by him but I do find someone that would charge me a reasonable price though. I don't know if waiting to get the DBQ filled out would be worth the wait or file informal claim?

Thanks

Do you get medical care for these at your VAMC ?

Do you have copies of SMR/STR's that support these issues were shown during active duty ?

If yes, I would take copies to leave with my VAMC provider's along with the DBQ's and ask them to fill them out

and you will pick them up later, or a stamped pre-addressed envelope.

It has worked for me in the past.

jmho

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

If the VARO receive my informal claim tomorrow or Friday and months down the road my claims go through will I get paid for the whole month of February or do they pay just a little since its end of the month?

Thanks

They do not compensate for partial months.

The effective date would be the first of the following month.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Just my opinion here but if you have the evidence and can cite the law and regs and do not have any holes in your claim. I would go for it. I have been doing that on my claims. The worst thing about not filing for something you think might be related to service is the doubt that is left in your head, that you should of filed when you had the chance. We all have a limited time on this battlefield, might as well make wisest use of it. If your claims have merit, someone just in decision making will see it.

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r: