VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Grave Procedural Error

Rate this question

Guest Berta

Question

I can't find this topic-

I clicked on email from hadit to take me to a reply and then had numerous problems with my PC-dont know why-

I lost the topic-

Hayre V West - 188 F 3rd 1327 Fed Cir . Hayre was a claimant who had argued Grave Procedual Error in lieu of CUE-

-this case was overturned by the Fed Circuit Court in Cook V. Principi- and also Tetro V Principi

It is all at the old hadit -we had quite a discussion as I recall-

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I can't find this topic-

I clicked on email from hadit to take me to a reply and then had numerous problems with my PC-dont know why-

I lost the topic-

Hayre V West - 188 F 3rd 1327 Fed Cir . Hayre was a claimant who had argued Grave Procedual Error in lieu of CUE-

-this case was overturned by the Fed Circuit Court in Cook V. Principi- and also Tetro V Principi

It is all at the old hadit -we had quite a discussion as I recall-

Berta, I am reading about "grave procedural error" today - as it is part of my recent NOD. Grave Procedural Error may be argued, but it will not reverse the finality of a VA decision. It's tricky, sticky nomenclature - and I wish I had used some other term like "gross errors". ~Wings

. . . the Federal Circuit has made it clear that "grave procedural error" is no longer a viable option for

overcoming the finality of a prior decision. See Cook, 318 F.3d at 1341 (overruling Hayre to extent that it created additional exception to rule of finality applicable to VA decisions by reason of "grave procedural error "). UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR VETERANS CLAIMS, No. 00-1921

Edited by Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

I made the mistake of calling their errors "grave" and "grievous". And, found their errors to be both administrative (regulations) and procedural (law). So, unless I am ready for a CUE attack, I'll just choose to use different adjectives ....

Guest Jim S.

I may be mistaken, but as I read the ruling, grave or grevious procedural error can only be used in claims that are not final.

Say you have three specific items for which you are claiming disability for, two of the items were ruled on, but were mute on the third one. Somehow this slips your mind and a year goes by. You decide to reopen your claim, but when you review your records, you see that the VARO failed to adjudicate on the third item. This part of your claim remains open since the VARO failed to adjudicate on the third item their by making a grave procedural error.

I hope this makes since.

Jim S.