VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non-Va Medical Reports Into Va Med Records?

Rate this question

Ufrustrated2

Question

i used to be able to take non-VA medical reports to ROI and they would scan them into my VA records.

now i found out, they no longer do that. the roi office person said it was up the doctor to request that and that i would need to show my VA doctor the medical reports and he would deem whether it would be put into my VA records.

what if the medical report contradicts VA doctor? i'm to believe he would request it put into my records.

is there a regulation protecting the veteran about such matters so i can mention that in order to get pertinent medical reports into my va records?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It should be covered under continuity of care. Are you talking about putting records into your C file, or your actual medical records jacket? If they are relevant there should be no issue getting them scanned in or added, or at least having your doctor's information in your record so the VA doc/ PA can request what they need when necessary.

It should be covered under continuity of care. Are you talking about putting records into your C file, or your actual medical records jacket? If they are relevant there should be no issue getting them scanned in or added, or at least having your doctor's information in your record so the VA doc/ PA can request what they need when necessary.

i don't understand continuity of care?

i had some relevent medical tests and bone scans done that are relevant to my SC'd issues i wanted put into my va medical records so a doctor there can see it.

i thought it odd they wouldn't do it and said it was up to my va doctor whether it gets put into my va medical records. i thought civilian medical reports were now allowed into a veteran's record, no?

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to my PCP's office with some medical information and they refused to accept it and told me to go to ROI office. I hate that because I may have to wait an hour. I find it almost impossible to get even dental records into or out of the VA from or to a private dentist. I gave them a report on my OSA which said I had "profound OSA" and was in danger of death. These records never got into my VA medical file.

I went to my PCP's office with some medical information and they refused to accept it and told me to go to ROI office. I hate that because I may have to wait an hour. I find it almost impossible to get even dental records into or out of the VA from or to a private dentist. I gave them a report on my OSA which said I had "profound OSA" and was in danger of death. These records never got into my VA medical file.

i was at ROI when i was told that recently.

if its up to a VA doctor whether civilian med data will be scanned into veterans va med file and they refuse, then what?

i thought that the VA was to acknowledge non-VA medical data? if ROI won't do it and the VA doctor refuses, how is a veteran to get pertinent medical data into VA medical file?

I think there may be some confusion. Your c file it's not your medical file. It is your claim file. VA records and non va don't need to mingle in the same file-they are different things. You can put whatever you want into your c file.if your vs doctor needs to talk to your other doctor he can-the va asks every time I'm in there I'd I have other insurance and the name of my primary care doc if I have one. I give them the information so they can coordinate that information with each other.

I think there may be some confusion. Your c file it's not your medical file. It is your claim file. VA records and non va don't need to mingle in the same file-they are different things. You can put whatever you want into your c file.if your vs doctor needs to talk to your other doctor he can-the va asks every time I'm in there I'd I have other insurance and the name of my primary care doc if I have one. I give them the information so they can coordinate that information with each other.

no confusion here. i know the difference.

what of those VA patients in florida that died due to VA delays in diagnosiing or treatment and if they had medical diagnositic data reports that were contrary to what their VA doctor was saying/doing, you don't think that VA medical file and non-VA medical data is the same thing versus different things? and you have that much faith in your VA doctor he/she would gladly call your non-VA doctor up and admit their medical mistake?

you can see why veterans would like to be able to get pertinent non-VA data into their VA medical record wouldn't you?.

btw, the VA years ago tried to bill my priv insurance company for service connect injury/illness. hows that for medical info privacy?

you don't think "john999" had a very valid medical reason to get the data he mentioned into his VA medical record?

let me ask again, is the VA required to acknowledge pertinent medical info that a veteran brings to the attention of a VA doctor or can the VA by regulations tell the veteran they don't have to acknowledge it. i thought i read, but can't remember where, VA was now required to acknowlwedge it thus a reason why a veteran would like it scanned into their VA medical record. not buried into a c-file that no one will care to read until a claim is filed. can someone steer me to a link that may answer this?