Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depresion Drug

Rate this topic

I started my prescribed drug for depression and found myself in a 'cloud' and not feeling right. Felt totally tired and wanted to sleep all the time. This was the minimum dose and the Doc wanted me to progress to higher doses.

I stopped taking it and will contact the Doc for more guidance. I am still working and cannot walk around, drive and operate machinery in a fog!

Anyone else have this issue?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of the meds have side affects similar. Some of it is just taking it long enough to get used to it. Its not a good idea to quit any med without consulting your Doctor.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I started my prescribed drug for depression and found myself in a 'cloud' and not feeling right. Felt totally tired and wanted to sleep all the time. This was the minimum dose and the Doc wanted me to progress to higher doses.

I stopped taking it and will contact the Doc for more guidance. I am still working and cannot walk around, drive and operate machinery in a fog!

Sounds like the effect of most MH drugs.

Which one/s did they RX ?

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of them also will pack the pounds on you. All the SSRI's help you gain weight. I went to a weight clinic and the doctor said the Cymbalta would put the pounds on and advised I talk to my VA doctor about it. He gave me appetite suppressants and a diet and exercise. I have that awful feeling of impending failure. This doctor takes only cash. He is a shrink. Maybe I could dump him and just get the diet drugs from my regular shrink. He charged me $350 for the first visit and pills. Now that will help me lose weight from worry.

I am not waiting 3 months for an appointment to stop this drug from causing me problems. I have informed the Doc through 'myhealthyvet' and am awaiting a reply there.

Quite. I'm about to start prescription 9...or 10...hard to keep track. The first one made me have flu-like symptoms and chest pains; the second screwed up my vision; the third (which I'd taken a decade ago on active duty) dilated my eyes and thus, screwd up my vision; the next couple I didn't take for a variety of reasons and side effect fears. Then we tried one that aggravated my IBS-like symptoms and...well that was just bad.

Then came paxil, Paxil totally negated the need for the trazadone I was given. I couldn't stay awake, so I needed no help sleeping. A month or more went by where I did...nothing. I put off a grocery store trip until my kitchen was almost completely devoid of food or drinks (I had some deli rolls and some cheese...and one package of popcorn...that was it.). When I hit 30mg (my doc wanted me on 60mg) I noticed borderline incontinence and some other problems and then decdide that was enough and started to wean myself back off it.

I'm honestly getting tired of trying prescription drugs. More than a couple of people seem to agree I'd benefit from a big bag of weed, but I'm the only one I know in my family or circle of friends to never try that.....yet. I must say I'm inching ever closer to that day.

"You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you."