VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vets Spouse Not Allowed To Accompany During C&p

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

Hey all,

I know about a year ago or more this same topic came up and I thought someone furnished the reg that allows the vets spouse to be with him during C&P evaluations and to sit in with him. My buddy went to StL VAMC to have a C&P by a psychologist yesterday. He had been awarded 30% last Nov for PTSD and they NOD'd that for an increase. This is why he was there, for the NOD as he has three PHs from Vietnam.

Anyway the C&P psychologists told them the vet could not have his wife accompany him. My friend told the C&P lady that he desires his wife to be present as he has been married to her over 30 years. The examiner then referred him to Veterans Advocate and she was not aware of any rule that allows the vet to have his spouse present during C&P Evaluations.

Anyway the C&P psychologist he was supposed to see cancelled his C&P and told him it would have to be rescheduled. So they refused to do a C&P because he refused without having his wife present.

Now it gets better! Another psychologist had a cancellation so she then said she would evaluate him and it was ok to have his wife present. During the C&P he was asked to answere 65 questions using a computer and my friend had some questions of the examiner because some of the questions were not clear to him, such as multiple choice questions about guilt. He asked her what did all this mean and she got irrate and told him he was taking too much time and she had other patients to do (It was nearing 1600 or 4PM!!!!) (Sidenote: Wonder how many C&Ps are done after 4PM anyway or was she in a hurry to get off work)

So since she said he was taking too long and asking too many questions that he would be rescheduled to come back another time. The C&P psychologist told him that he was one of the most beligerent patients they have ever come across.

Anyway, if someone can help by providing the rules as far as a vet patient being able to have spouse in the exam room with them, it would be much appreciated.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Actually, in WA State, there is a law that prohibits having another person in the room during a "Psych" exam for evaluation because the other person can cause a completely different outcome of the examination.

Some doc's follow this law, some don't, but it CAN negate your results and I have seen it happen (unfortunately).

There is NO Federal Regulation that allows a veteran or anyone to have another person in the room while being treated, tested or examined.....but, we all know, after being screwed by the VA, that if you don't have another person present then have a video camera and tape recorder with you by all means.

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
Dear SeattleShay,

I have been told in the state of Virginia, that one is allowed anyone with them, except for an attorney or representative and that a tape recorder or video camera is defintely out.

Due to this examination, I am due to have another one, by one Psychiatrist and someone must be present with me.

I really raised a stink over this one. Notarized letters to the Medical Center and to the R.O.

I may be getting another examination, as one of the Psychiatrist doing the talking refused to sign the write up report of the lady Psychiatrist.

Hoping for a better exam.

Thanks for your time and reply,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

If I was not allowed in with my husband on his regular visits or C & P exams, I would immediately get up, go to the Patient Advocates office and blow my stack there. I have had to use the Patient Advocates office more than one time and they have been helpful in getting any problems resolved in our favor. The Patient Advocates are there to assist the patient with any problems that they have, regardless of what they are. For us, they have been quick in getting back with us on any resolution to the problem.

I know that VAMC's are different, depending on where you live, but it shouldn't be. I have read a lot of postings here where some veterans are having a terrible time with their VAMC in getting medical reports, or help of any kind. Also, the idea of not letting someone go into the examination room with a veteran, if that is the veterans wish, is so far off base.

I live in Virginia, and again, as I stated before, we have not had any problems with Release of Information or my going in with my husband on any exam. Also, we use the Patient Advocates office when ever we have a problem and, so far, they have addressed every problem we have had.

mssoup