VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is My Next Step? Need Help After First Ruling.

Rate this question

c5marine

Question

Hello,

Just received my decision from the VA and only received 10% for tinnitus.

I did a C&P for PTSD/mental disorder and the decision paperwork stated "service connection for mental disorder is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor was caused by service". I did the C&P through a private provider that the VA sent me too who was not overly familiar with the process and seemed to not understand military service well.

What do you suggest I do next? Is there a way to get a copy of the C&P results? I would like to appeal, but should I first seek treatment through the VA to establish that I am being seen (have not sought treatment to date, but should).

Thanks for the help!

IT would have been easier had you had treatment already logged-in or out of service. Filing for the disability prior to having treatment notes will get you an uphill battle . You'll probably have to request your exam notes from the private practice, since they did the exam, though eventually they will end up at VA. There is a template you can download from VA that covers exactly what they are looking for on the exam for the C&P, also. Your first job should be to get into the VA medical system, or private practice, and establish a diagnosis, then, try again by appealing your current decision with 'new and material evidence'.

Hello,

Just received my decision from the VA and only received 10% for tinnitus.

I did a C&P for PTSD/mental disorder and the decision paperwork stated "service connection for mental disorder is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor was caused by service".

Can you post exactly and all that was stated from the Reasons and Bases Section on the denial ?

I did the C&P through a private provider that the VA sent me too who was not overly familiar with the process and seemed to not understand military service well.

What do you suggest I do next? Is there a way to get a copy of the C&P results?

You can request a copy from your VARO in writing and/or make an appointment at your VARO

to view your claims file and they most likely will make a copy of the exam for you if you ask.

I would like to appeal, but should I first seek treatment through the VA to establish that I am being seen (have not sought treatment to date, but should).

You have one year from the date of the decision to file a NOD.

Thanks for the help!

There was a glitch and my quote function - did not work the way it should.

carlie

Along with getting a current PTSD diagnosis and treatment through VA, Like the folks above recommended, You should also be reading up on the PTSD regulations which changed in 2010.

There are different regulations depending on if your PTSD was caused in a combat zone, noncombat zone or personal assault.

The complete ruling states:

"Service connection for mental disorder is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor was caused by service"

" The evidence does not show an event, disease, or injury in service. Your service treatment records do not contain complains, treatment, or diagnosis for this condition. The evidence does not show a current diagnosed disability"

I find it strange that I verbally made the connection during my C&P to two events that happened in Iraq and nothing came of it. To my fault, I never reported it while in the service or upon getting out. I felt the pressures of being a USMC officer as that you don't go to medical, etc which is coming around to bite me now in getting an accurate ruling. I plan to go to the VA to seek treatment (I think I am finally over the ego part and willing to accept help, hence my claim to the VA). I am just really curious as to what was documented in the report. I think knowing that would help out.

Thanks for the help. This process is very humbling and administrative difficult. Thanks.