Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mandatory? - New Notice Of Disagreement, Va Form 21-0958

Rate this question

JamesPT

Question

Does anyone know whether it is mandatory to use the new NOD VA Form-21-0958. It's a type written NOD letter still valid in appealing a decision?, are letters no longer accepted by the VARO. I have always appealed via letters, never had any issues. Just my opinion, but I find this new form a bit of a pain to fill out. The form just seems to limit you in writing\explaining ones disagreements with their claims denials. I finished writing an NOD letter but upon reviewing their letter I noticed in the SSOC the statement to download the new NOD form. Advice, opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

I've used the new form for the reasons Chris and Fat discuss above. I've also added continuation pages describing why their decisions were wrong for which the new form includes a block to include how many additional pages. I've done this for a couple of reasons -

1. I'll leave out some important factoid if I don't use the form.

2. I don't want to give some data entry clerk difficulty inputting my information into VBMS or whatever system.

Asknod is right that the "duty to assist" clause has fallen out (or maybe never inserted?) from the VA's system. We veterans are now on the hook to do a great deal of leg work, including make their forms do for us all of what those forms need to do. Sometimes that costs real $$$. Tried to get your records from a hospital recently? I've spent upwards of $50 here and there if not more upon occassion. Not everyone can make that kind of investment in a better rating decision in money or in effort. If the VA requested them in an expeditious manner, that effort would be at no cost to the veteran. It's the "least of these" who probably need the help the most that then get left behind.

As the hurtles get higher and the wait times for a final decision (post-appeal) get longer, perhaps more of us will not complete the course to obtain justice?

Meanwhile, has anyone actually gotten a call or email from the VARO to discuss their NOD/appeal?

• HadIt.com Elder

Use the form and add your attachments.Good luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Good Advice given above.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

VBA NOD Form 21-0958

"THE USE OF THIS FORM IS NOT MANDATORY. HOWEVER, USING IT WILL HELP REDUCE DELAYS IN PROCESSING YOUR NOD. THIS FORM HAS SEVERAL KEY COMPONENTS, WHICH WHEN FILLED OUT COMPLETELY AND ACCURATELY, WILL DECREASE THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT TAKES TO PROCESS YOUR NOD."

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.