VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc Do I Need To Submit Claim

Rate this topic

Do I need to request or mention aid and attendance when submitting the NOD. John999 I saw you request hb. That's kind of why I'm asking. Its not old news to me I am just learning about all the different benefits available.

SMC is for very specific "physical" losses such as blindness, bilateral amputations, use of creative organ, arm/leg amputation, etc. To qualify for SMC, one of those disabilities mentioned must have a 100% PT SERVICE CONNECTED disability and a second, SERVICE CONNECTED disability rated at 60% or more that is UNRELATED to the diagnosis of the first/100% PT disability. Example, a 'scheduler' rating to achieve the 100% PT rating would not = the required 100% PT rating unless it was for a SINGULAR systemic event like RA or MS. If you think you qualify, I recommend you take your ratings to the nearest VSO and have them assess your decision/award. SMC is an additional award for the most crippled and dire injured combat veterans and not many qualify.

However the Aid & Attendance/Housebound benefit can be granted without the stringent requirements of SMC and this (A&A/HB) award can also be granted for a veteran's spouse who requires constant care. You will need to undergo a Housebound Exam by your local VA. Your VSO can get this scheduled for you. You should plan to bring any doctors' notes that support you/spouse's need to require help with bathing, driving, dressing, managing meds and other routine "ADLs" (Activities of Daily Living) functions.

SMC is for very specific "physical" losses such as blindness, bilateral amputations, use of creative organ, arm/leg amputation, etc. To qualify for SMC, one of those disabilities mentioned must have a 100% PT SERVICE CONNECTED disability and a second, SERVICE CONNECTED disability rated at 60% or more that is UNRELATED to the diagnosis of the first/100% PT disability. Example, a 'scheduler' rating to achieve the 100% PT rating would not = the required 100% PT rating unless it was for a SINGULAR systemic event like RA or MS. If you think you qualify, I recommend you take your ratings to the nearest VSO and have them assess your decision/award. SMC is an additional award for the most crippled and dire injured combat veterans and not many qualify.

However the Aid & Attendance/Housebound benefit can be granted without the stringent requirements of SMC and this (A&A/HB) award can also be granted for a veteran's spouse who requires constant care. You will need to undergo a Housebound Exam by your local VA. Your VSO can get this scheduled for you. You should plan to bring any doctors' notes that support you/spouse's need to require help with bathing, driving, dressing, managing meds and other routine "ADLs" (Activities of Daily Living) functions.

I have some disagreements with everything above in red because it depends on what the SMC is for.

SMC certainly is not in any way just, an additional award for the most crippled and dire injured combat veterans

and, there are certainly MANY, MANY vets, that qualify for SMC.

Many times there is already so much evidence in the claims file that an exam for housebound is not needed.

Many times the veteran already meets the regs for 100 + 60 and no exam at all is needed.

jmho

• HadIt.com Elder

There is also a clause in the SMC rules that allows the VA to award SMC when the total impact of the veterans disabilities is of such severity

that the veteran is incapable - - -. The problem is that the VA falls back on the schedular ratings, and seldom uses other paths to SMC.

Remember that the VA often sees things as monochrome, with no shades of grey.

SMC is for very specific "physical" losses such as blindness, bilateral amputations, use of creative organ, arm/leg amputation, etc. To qualify for SMC, one of those disabilities mentioned must have a 100% PT SERVICE CONNECTED disability and a second, SERVICE CONNECTED disability rated at 60% or more that is UNRELATED to the diagnosis of the first/100% PT disability. Example, a 'scheduler' rating to achieve the 100% PT rating would not = the required 100% PT rating unless it was for a SINGULAR systemic event like RA or MS.

Not necessarily so. I believe the NVLSP disagrees with that interpretation, based on Bradley v. Peake, re. Statutory authority for "s" status (qualifying based strictly on ratings, not being literally housebound). My husband' s appeal is at the Board right now appealing that interpretation, and I fully expect they'll deny, so it will be on to the Court and we'll see how this shakes out.