VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sinusitis C & P Exam

Rate this question

Fat

Question

My neighbor finally received a date for his C&P exam (sinusitis). He got all of his private treatment records together and forwarded the information to the VSO. He had a CT Scan in 2012 and recently had a X-Ray in March of 2014. Both showed mucosal thickening in the frontal (2012), sphenoid (2012), and ethmoid (2014) sinuses. He is trying to service connect through continuity of care since his service medical records don't list the disease as "chronic". His private doctor wont provide a nexus or do a DBQ form. He stated, "its not possible to say if a two bouts of sinusitis in 2006 are connected to his current sinus problems". He discharged in 2007 from the Navy. His current treatment records show steady treatment since 2009 for sinusitis problems. He was treated with antibiotics. Is he on the right track and what should he expect at the exam?

6 answers to this question

His military medical records only show two bouts of non-chronic sinusitis in 2006. He was discharged in 2007 and did not seek any treatment for the sinusitis again until 2009 (three years after his previous episodes). His doctor will not provide a nexus or complete a DBQ.

Just my opinion but I believe your neighbor will have an up hill battle to prove a nexus.

Good luck.

Could go either way bud. The VA will see that the Vet has Sinusitis issues, yet wonder why the Vet went all that time without seeking treatment. I too will have a C&P exam in a few months for Allergic Rhinitis and Sinusitis. I have been on meds for a few years now. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I thinks veterans are misinformed or not informed to be cognizant with post military health records. He may have very well attempted to treat the issue with saline nose wash, sinus pills, and other OTC sinus medication. Hindsight being 20/20, he would have visited a physician and kept the records if he knew the possibility of long term problems from sinusitis. I still think with the documented episodes in 2006 and post treatment records from 2009 to 2014 might be sufficient to garner service connection. Chronic sinusitis is habitual (without cure). The root causes are bacteria, fungus, deformity of sinus cavity, tumor, etc.

Fat,

Your post brings up an important reminder. All of us who know someone currently serving in the military should make them aware and stress the importance of having all medical conditions (regardless of severity) documented in their SMR. Also advise them to go for medical treatment for any condition that could become a problem later. Last but not least, get a complete copy of their SMR prior to being discharged.

I have a friend whose son is in basic training in the Marine Corps. He apparently hurt his knee pretty bad during training, but has intended to stay with it and not wash out. Several weeks have passed and it looks like he will make it, and go on to at least a full enlistment in the USMC. However, I immediately cautioned them that they need to get copies of the SMR's of this injury, along with his entrance examination documentation, and begin building a file........just in case years down the line he may need it.

Have a great week.

Mark

I agree with great advice given above. I was lucky in the fact that I was active for 10 years, and to my bad luck, injured a lot and diagnosed with the Crohn's so most was well documented. I should have done a better job of going to medical. When I was deployed all those years, I was embarrassed and leading Troops, so I thought I was a wimp if I complained. Now that I look at my medical records and think to myself, I should have made it a big deal when I was hurt or sick, and get my disabilities documented better, therefore making it less of a fight with the VA. Again thank God that the last two years, I spent quite a bit of time in the Hospital, where most things were documented. The struggle for Vets on Hadit and around the world, has affected me personally this last 18 months since I retired. When other Vets Hurt, I Hurt. I try not to let it get to me but it does. It makes me feel like I went thru all the crap in OIF/OEF for nothing. Sorry I rambled and did not mean to take over the thread. God Bless