VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent

Rate this question

ghost14d

Question

I was awarded 40 percent when I got out of Army in 05.My son was born before my I was never told I could add him.Now I'm 90 and I was told in June I could add him his 9 now how far will they back pay?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I was awarded 40 percent when I got out of Army in 05.My son was born before my I was never told I could add him.Now I'm 90 and I was told in June I could add him his 9 now how far will they back pay?

They do not pay additional dependent compensation automatically - a claim and specific information

of proof of dependent must be submitted first.

I do not see where you would have any "back pay" since there was no submission requesting the benefit.

Form 21-686c

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-686c-ARE.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

That's how the VA saves money, by cheating the veteran. They feel you should have known. Your VSO screwed up and you lose because of it. Sorry!

Every claimant should own a copy of the Veterans Benefits Manual, printed by LexisNexis for $150, http://www.lexisnexis.com/store/catalog/booktemplate/productdetail.jsp?pageName=relatedProducts&skuId=SKU12734&catId=1&prodId=12734

The 2014 edition is due out in Sept. I know it's a little pricey but you can't afford not to own one. Think of the money you've lost. jmo

pr

Man I didn't know i could add him when I first file when I got out. My VSO did everything

His added now as of June

I have a feeling that your rating decision that awarded your 40% SC, most likely

contained a couple of pages with information like appeal rights and dependent allowance,

forms to include a 21-686c, etc . . .

Many times claimants just look at the decision - see the pages for appeal rights and

say to themselves - well I got approved so I'm not going to appeal anything - put the

paper work back in the envelope - never to be looked at again.

This might not be your scenario but I'm sure many claimants have done, exactly this.

BTW - just for sheets & giggles, check your original paper work to see if a 21-686c

was submitted with the original claim - just so happened my was back in 1978.

jmho

It wasn't submitted by my VSO. THE new guy asked me why wasn't my son on my award then he submit the application. Man wish I knew was just getting out Army they didn't teach us about claims