• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Remarks From The Bottom Of My C&p Exam - Shoulder

Rate this question

Tampabud

Question

Veteran's current diagnoses: Posterior superior labral

tear, supraspinatus tear and cubital tunnel syndrome

are a progression of his service connected disability.

In the absence of an MRI initially, his diagnosis

was made clinically and did not reflect on his MRI

findings of a labral and supraspinatus tear. The

cubital tunnel syndrome is a new finding which occurred

after his laproscopic surgery and is related to his left

shoulder condition and or tretment of his left shoulder

condition.

What does this mean? Is this the proper wording for my request for increase (shoulder sprain and bicep tendonitis) is what I originally was given 10% for.

Thank you.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I agree its positive for you for an increase. Mucho Important, however, is that you will be related on symptoms, not diseases. You see, if you have xxx disease, but no symptoms, you wont get compensated.

One of the things to look for is loss of range of motion. What cant you do, that you could do without this injury? Does this injury prevent you from working? What are your other symptoms? Pain? Does this limit your use of arm/shoulder? Is one shoulder pain/injury putting stress on the other shourlder, causing it to hurt also? Is the area inflamed?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Cubital tunnel syndrome means problems with the ulnar nerve, i.e. funny bone area and down your forearm to include your ring finger and pinky. Because all nerves travel up the extremities to your spine/brain, if there is a bump in the road anywhere along the line, problems can occur.

Having the doc state this is a progression of your SC disability is helpful. It might be worth filing a radiculopathy claim for it secondary to your SC shoulder, but would need someone else to confirm if it might be considered pyramiding. I am not certain, but do not believe it would be pyramiding because your current rating is for the shoulder/bicep and CTS would be considered a nerve problem. Also check the shoulder/arm ratings against your full exam to see if you might qualify for an increase there too.

Here is a BVA claim where SC was granted for Cubital Tunnel Syndrome

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0937395.txt

Extra info:

This can be caused by nerve damage or entrapment (i.e. like carpal tunnel syndrome) at many pressure points along the nerve paths. Physical therapy, stretching, medication, and surgery can sometimes help provide relief, but there are no guarantees.