Dependent Question

dragrazor

Question

I did some searching on here before asking this question but found different scenarios and outcomes. I recently went from 10% disability to 40%. I had entered all my families information when i received the initial 10%. When i applied for ptsd, i was awarded 30%. When i applied for ptsd, i did not furnish the dependent information because i had already done that. When i was awarded the 40%, i went on ebenefits and saw that i was being paid as single with no dependents. I called my d.a.v. office and was told that i can apply on ebenefits. I went on ebenefits and applied for dependents. Since i had already sent all the dependents info(birth certificates,marriage license,etc), ebenefits did not require me to send them again thank god. anyways, i applied and to my surprise, it showed complete and my award went up to $749. I received a letter with all the explanation as to how i will be paid in regards to my childrens ages. It showed that it will be retroactive to november of 2013. The letter also stated that i should receive payment for my dependents retro in approximately 15 days. The 15 days have come and gone. Is this just protocol for them to put a time frame? Is this one of those times where i wont see payment for months? I received my retro for single and no dependents fairly quickly after i was awarded the 30% ptsd so i was hoping for a quick retro pay on the dependents. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Keep checking your deposits. Your Issue is actually one of the best I have seen. Some folks wait a very long time for the RO to adjudicate dependant pay.

Heck I've been waiting for 4 years for my dependency claim to be completed.

Now for some reason, my claim was sent to Washington RO, because LA RO couldn't get it done I guess.

Congrats on your success.

Edited by aggie54 (see edit history)

I was awarded 60% in January 14. I filed a dependency claim immediately upon notification letter on e benefits. Later in May I read on here about doing it again in E benefits which I did. Today I noticed that the May claim had closed but the January claim is still open.

How do I know if my dependency claim has been finished? Or if they got rid of the newer claim and closed it since I had the earlier claim?

I didn't mean to hi jack your thread or anything but showing an example of my situation to add to your thread.

Joe, the first time you applied in january, did your pay go up consistent with the addition of the dependents? My initial pay was $577 which was single with no dependents. Soon after my application for the addition of my dependents, i noticed that the application was closed and my benefit letter went up to $749 reflecting the addition of my dependents. The only thing i am waiting for is the retro pay.