VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Rating Not P&t Update At C File Question

Rate this question

mariorivera830

Question

Good afternoon folks!

Just a little update on us after we have started to get over the shock of receiving a 100% rating for PTSD alone and finally receiving my C File.

Well it's been a little over one month since getting the bombshell that is a 100% rating. To be honest, the stress and anxiety has ramped up more than when we were waiting to see if my total rating would be either 70-90. We were more prepared for that than 100%. Mostly because everywhere we read about increases to a 100% PTSD rating included the inability to work or not having a job. I have been working the job I have for the past 8 years. Full time and at a decent rate. The stress comes from the perception that once you get 100%, you cannot work. I solely support a family of 6 with our oldest being 13, and our youngest being 1. So with a mortgage that's only 2 years old and a couple of auto payments, not working is a huge punch in the gut. I still wake up and sweat it out a bit over that.

One upside of this, is that I can find a job that is more family friendly. Currently I work a rotating 12 hour shift that is very physically demanding. Again, it comes down to whether I will be allowed to work. Nothing on my award letter states IU, P&T, or grants CHAMPVA. I have talked to multiple VSOs and my voc rehab counselor and was told that unless I was explicitly told that I cannot work or that I am eligible for CHAMPVA, that I can and should work for as long as I can handle it. Being 33, it's very difficult for me to just up and never work again. Even if I were to be reduced, I think that by that time, I could have gotten myself into a career that will allow me to work to my strengths while finding a way to keep my disabilities from taking over my mind. I have met a few people who said that they are 100% not P&T and have been able to work for the past couple of decades as a DOD contractor. Hopefully some strings can be pulled and he can get me in with him. Fingers crossed.

Either way, we am still learning what I am eligible for being part of the 100%-er club, and are on our way to get our ID card from a local ARB. I just wanted to let you guys know that getting 100% at a fairly young age is both awesome and very disheartening at the same time. Maybe just as much, if not moreso, than those who are more established age-wise. But, I can surely say that it is definitely a problem that I will be able to handle with the help of my wife and that of those here, who have helped me get to where I am at and whom I can only hope to emulate anytime I see another vet who looks just as lost as I did when I first logged on here. Thanks.

Also I finally got my C file and does anyone know the best way to organize it? Because it is just a large stack of jumbled mess right now!

Lastly, to those still in the fight, stay in there and find someone or something (my husky Blue when my wife is gone.) to talk to and never give up. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

-Mario

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

5 answers to this question

100% -- Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name

I hope you can keep your rating but It ​sounds like you may not qualify for the rating(if your able to work, therefore not being totally occupationally impaired) .. VA assigned it to and they're suppose to know your circumstances. So it's not your fault that you have it, your paperwork doesn't explicitly say you can't work but the 100% rating does say total occupational impairment. Hope everything works out for you.

Organize it chronologically with the oldest documents on the bottom and most recent documents on top. I know many c-files are voluminous and organizing the file would be a monumental task. However, to the extent possible, try to have your documents for each claimed condition all together in one section and have each section tabbed separating the documents of one claimed condition from the documents of other claimed conditions. You could also organize the documents in each section according to subject matter (SMRs, IMOs/DBQs, Supporting Statements, Civilian Medical Records, VA Medical Records, C & P Reports, VA Correspondence, etc.)

You may also want to create a table of contents at the front of your file.

The end goal is to organize your file in a manner so that you can easily find any document in your file anytime you need it.

Just my opinion. I am sure others have some better ideas.

Thanks for your replies and I think a chronological system seems to be most effective for me.

As far as my rating goes, I have attached the reason the VA gave me for that rating. The most used word when it came to employment was "diffuculty" . I'm not worried about a reduction, but obviously I would like to keep it and see what happens. I can't seem to just give in to unemployability.

post-15258-0-85486100-1410393087_thumb.p

• HadIt.com Elder

Do what is best for you and yours. You should be good for a few years before the VA might decide to re-evaluate,in the meantime use that VA money to your benefit for later down the road.

mariorivera830, I am in the exact same situation you are. I am 100% PTSD and work full-time also and the VA is aware of it too. I can not afford to support my family on 100% VA disability alone either. I dont understand why a mental disability would be different than a physical one at 100%. If a vet is p&t then that would mean permanent and total which should mean you cant work either cause you would be totally disabled. I dont understand all the rules and I am waiting for the VA official documents stating I am 100%. DAV has already sent the unofficial rating of 100% as well as ebenefits showing 100%. I dont wanna give up on living for the rating but know that I have issues with work. Dont let anyone tell you you can not work and be rated 100% PTSD unless it is officially from the VA. Everyone interrupts it differently and they may not be correct. Good luck to you brother!